Friday, April 02, 2010

The Climb

Our romantic Friday night consisted of catching up on Grey's Anatomy from the DVR. At the end of an episode the voiceover had the following quote:

"They take pictures of mountain climbers at the top of the mountain--they're smiling, ecstatic, triumphant. They don't take pictures along the way because who wants to remember the rest of it...the relentless climb, the pain and anguish of taking it to the next level...no one takes pictures of that. No one wants to remember that." -Meredith Grey

We backed it up to listen to the quote again. She has a good point, I suppose, but I disagree.

I had a conversation with two women in the hair salon today about blogging. They wanted me to explain what it means to blog, what I write about and why.

I wish I would have had this quote then--so I could explain why I blog. Blogging is my way of taking pictures along the way up this mountain of parenthood/marriage/womanhood/life. When my children have graduated, perhaps married, I don't want to just have the photos from the mountaintops. I want to have memories of the climb.

As trite as it sounds, it is the journey--the people you meet, the challenges you overcome, the lessons you learn, even the scars you acquire--that makes the destination so rewarding.

And so, I write...

9 comments:

Ms. ~K said...

And I am so thankful you do...

You have been in my thoughts and prayers this week,
~K

Robin said...

As D says on his blog, "Sometimes the real adventure is contained - not so much in the destination - but in the journey itself." I think our most important life lessons are learned "along the way." As we journey towards the victories and defeats we face in this life, God has many adventures in store for us...adventures that make us into more of what HE wants us to be.

HW said...

Great post. I write because I love words. I love the idea of leaving a legacy for my children, their children. I write because it is healing in many ways.

And I'm glad you write too.

I also have been keeping you and your family and friends in my thoughts and prayers this week.

Jenilee said...

I was sent this post by Carrie @ 4 the Love of Family... we were having this conversation through email. you have said it perfectly. that is exactly why I blog and enjoy the connection between other women in this stage of life called mothering. thank you for writing.

kbh said...

I'm thankful you write too, you have inspired me to do the same. Mine is not as beautifully put as yours, but I want my daughter to have the same "photo" of her life! I love your blog!

Love Being A Nonny said...

I also write because I forget all the things along the way. I remember the valleys...and the mountain tops. But the things along the way is what makes up my every day life...That's why I blog.

May God bless your family this Easter. He is risen!

AK said...

I love how we're all different and perceive things in individual ways! When I heard that quote, I thought "EXACTLY" because I blog to help sort things out.

Sometimes I'll begin a post with a huge question or burden on my heart but by the time I finish writing the Lord has shown me an answer or encouraged me in some way. Usually once a season has passed, I delete my blog and begin again because while I'm thankful for the wisdom that I've gained from the journey, it's hard for me to relive the steps, falls, tumbles, etc... that occurred along the way!

I'm also that way with other things. My mother captured my childhood in boxes of artwork, clothing, and toys because she wanted me to have what I wanted of it as an adult. I kept a few dolls and clothing items but threw the rest away because childhood was hard and I just didn't want to have to remember it all over again.

Blair said...

Great post! I'm glad you blog too. I love reading your "stories" and life lessons you find. You are an amazing writer.

I blog because I don't ever want to forget the simple day to day moments I have with my precious babies. I love that my children will not only have a zillion pictures from their childhood, but the story that goes along with it.

Shannon said...

.....and don't stop! Your words are inspiration!

-Shannon in Austin