Monday, March 29, 2010

Many of us had hoped God would heal Mike Sweeney on this Earth. It was somewhat selfish. We believe, as Christians, that to live is Christ and to die (and be with Him forever) is gain. There was no fear of death itself--it was more the preference that we have more years here with him.

When our Young Life committee hired Sweeney 3 years ago after 7 years of prayer and fundraising, we had hoped they would be here for a very long time. Sweeney & Cabell were a powerful tag team in ministry and in life. Their love for one another so evident and true. The last time I saw Sweeney (Saturday morning) he was a shell of his former self and yet, Cabell stood at his bedside very tenderly caressing his shoulder and gazing at him as if he were the finest specimen of a man she had ever seen. In my feeble human brain it just didn't seem fair. This couple, committed in marriage for more than a decade, separated by death when there appeared to be so much more life to live.

I did not want to see my friend Sweeney suffer with this horrible disease. I did not want to see my friend Cabell lose her beloved spouse at such a young age. I did not want to watch the hearts of our dear college-aged leaders be exposed to the difficulty of losing someone young that you care about. I did not want to feel this old. I did not want to have to watch my precious husband lose such a dear friend.

Because my husband was Sweeney's surgeon, in addition to friend, it has been a very unique journey. I have to tell you that one of my constant prayers for my man is true male friendship. His grueling and unpredictable work hours make connecting with him quite difficult. He is unable to participate in weekly small groups. When he is not working he is committed to being with our little family. Sweeney is the first non-medical man in over a decade to make it a priority to spend time with my husband in a way that did not intrude on family time. Sweeney would come sit with my hubby from 8-9:15 on the nights I was leading Bible Study. It worked great because I was out anyway and the children were in bed. He got creative, inconvenienced himself and pursued friendship with the man I love. It may seem like a little thing...but it was this type of investing in other people that made Sweeney so special.

Watching my husband labor over studies, scans, research, correspondence, etc in an effort to help Sweeney defeat cancer in the last 19 months has made my husband's career choice incredibly personal. I cannot believe these are the types of burdens he bears with families all day every day. He does so with godly compassion, quiet strength and wisdom because God has called him to. Watching it up close...down to the vigil into the wee hours of the morning today...has changed the way I look at him.

I don't want to get on a tangent, but anyone who thinks doctors are in their professions for the money has never walked 24 hours in my man's clogs.

My husband is heartbroken and I really, really hate that.

It has also changed the way I look at relationships. The moments shared as friends and I have labored in prayer for the Sweeneys are truly sacred. There is absolutely no substitute for 'doing life' with other believers. Oh, how the Lord shows His goodness through the tenderness of other people. I hope I never forget the unbelievable sense of peace and protection that surrounded us during the vigil at the hospital the last few days.

And despite all the alternative outcomes that we had hoped for, the bottom line is that through this excruciating journey we all had HOPE. Hope that this is not the end. Hope that we serve a Sovereign God who loves both Cabell and Sweeney (and all the other lives that have been touched ) far more than we can imagine. Hope that we will see each other again. Hope that He has defeated death for eternity.

23 comments:

twiceasnice said...

My heart hurts so much for your family, and Cabell. Having lost my young husband while pregnant with our twins, was so hard. I knew that God never left me, he choose me to love my husband, father our twins, and never abandoned me in this sad time. Blessed those that weep and morn, for one day you will laugh. These amazing twins in my life have provided more laughs than I ever knew. Call upon the Lord, He will give you strength. Prayers from Texas your way.

MtnGirl said...

Although I do not know Cabell, Sweeney or you personally, when I read about Sweeney's death, it brought tears to my eyes. It brought tears to my eyes because of the words, feelings and beliefs that were shared. Sweeney must have been one heck of an incredible man - I never knew him on this side of heaven, but hope to meet him on the other side. Prayers for Cabell, you and his many friends as you feel the loss of this special person.

boomama said...

So beautiful. Praying for all of you.

ShaggaBear (Linda) said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose someone precious. My prayers are with your family and Sweeny's.

Marva said...

Sending prayers to all!!!! Hugs and blessings!!!

Amber said...

It's hard to find the words to say to express how sorry I am for the loss of your beloved friend. It makes my heart ache for you, as well as for Cabell and all the people that he touched through Young Life - leaders, kids. I didn't know Sweeney, but I know Young Life and what an awesome ministry it is. I know that Sweeney must have touched so many lives in the way that he lived and in his death. I am praying for you and everyone who loved him.

Emmy said...

I love you... beautifully said! I will never be the same!

Bailey's Leaf said...

I am so sorry to hear about Sweeney's death. Please know that our hearts are just as broken, and we never had the pleasure of meeting him.

Sweeney made an impression on this world. He and Cabell have shown God's love to everyone despite the diagnosis and the final outcome. The world of blogging is a big world. Though difficult, how wonderful it is that they were able to share the love of Christ through their online journal with everyone.

We are so sorry.

k and c's mom said...

Blessings on you all. I know that God's presence is surrounding you, and that His ear is so very near your mouths as you lift up praise and prayers.
I will continue to hold you and all your dear ones up to the Father who knows you and will surround you with endless love, mercy, grace and peace. This I know for sure: in the squeezing tight times, He IS enough.

Mandy said...

I am so very sorry for the loss of your dear friend. We recently lost one of our dearest friends to pancreatic cancer at only 40 years old. It is not what any of us wanted but we know God has a great reunion awaiting all his children. Thinking of you and praying for God's peace on your family and Cabell.

peapodsquadmom said...

i am so sorry for the loss of your precious friend. i have been inspired by the grace with which he and cabell faced their journey with cancer. my prayers are with you all in the days ahead.

Mom of Eleven said...

Beautifully written. I can only imagine putting your thoughts down, all 1 million of them was hard tonight. May you rest and be peaceful that Sweeney is with Jesus, literally. with. Jesus. That part makes me smile. I am so sad for Cabell and hurting for you all. I know it has been a long weekend. Please know our family is lifting all of you up in prayer this next week. . and the days to come.
w

Traci said...

Oh my heart is breaking for all of you, but wow, what a testimony his life has been. I will pray that your family and Mike's will see the Manna first thing in the morning. Thank you for letting strangers follow this very personal and touching journey. It has changed us.

Love Being A Nonny said...

I know that The Scott family, along with many others, have been forever changed because of this experience with Sweeney. I am changed because of it. May God bless Cabell, Sweeney's family and all who have been touched by his life. God has a plan here....may we allow Him to fulfill it. God bless you and give you peace as you grieve.

elizabeth said...

Beautiful. I am so very sorry.

Kellie said...

Praying

Samantha said...

Thank you and Cabell for sharing the journey with us on the web. It has been a blessing to pray for you all, even though we have never met. God has been glorified in the telling and in the journey. Praise Him for the life of this very special man. Continuing to pray....

Judy said...

I just want to say thank you to your family for serving Cabell and Mike so well. Your devotion to them, to Young Life and our amazing Lord is a picture of loving as the Father loved us. Todd and Susan are dear friends and speak so highly of you. May the comforting arms of the Father hold you tight during this time. Judy Sweeney, Newport Beach, CA

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. Hoping along with you.

Peter and Nancy said...

Praying for you as you miss your dear friend, and walk with Cabell through the lonely days ahead.
Nancy

Jimi said...

I have been reading your blog for a few months but never actually commented before. I have read your past posts on Sweeny and I have been soo moved by the hope & faith that has been present throughout the entire situation.
My heart really goes out to all your family, friends and people who actually knew Sweeny. I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that God will give you all a peace that surpasses all understanding.

Mickie McGee said...

What a glorious testimony of faith in the valley of death. Oh to have that kind of confidence in a Savior when we witness it raining equally hard on the just and the unjust.
Bless and keep Cabell close to Your Heart the next few days, weeks, and months.

Andi said...

It's hard not to envy a man who can face death with such grace. I hope one day I can face my own with such dignity. I have been praying for you all.