Monday, December 21, 2009

Use Your Instrument

I love singing shows. I love American Idol, Glee is a guilty pleasure and most recently the Sing Off really lived up to my expectations.

Despite my enthusiastic appreciation of musical talent, I do not possess a shred of it myself. I really wish I did...but I don't play an instrument (other than pecking out "Heart and Soul" on the piano)and my voice is definitely not performance material. I envy those who are!

In the end, I am absolutely fascinated by watching people use their gifts. This extends beyond the stage.I find nothing more attractive/beautiful about a person than when they are serving within their gift set--whether it is music, encouragement, acts of service or even administration and/or spreadsheets.

Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully. Romans 12:4-8 (NIV)

As a parent, I pray I can be tuned into the gift set God has wired into my children. I pray that as they grow up it will become apparent what 'instruments' God has entrusted them with...and they will play them with excellence.

No comments: