Saturday, December 26, 2009

Gratefulness

My husband and I really strive to raise grateful children. We try to model gratefulness and remind them of its importance. At the end of the day, it is a process. They are only 5 and we are all very human. I am, however, pleasantly surprised sometimes at their spontaneous expressions of thankfulness when they receive an unexpected treat.

After a couple of days of receiving gifts, however, I have been reminded that humans are not naturally thankful. Our natural, sinful quest for more is behind the numerous, constant reminders in scripture that we "be thankful."

We had a few unfortunate occurrences of "That's not the color I wanted. What else did I get?" and "That's all?"

I read an 11 year old post from Allen Levi today where he remarked of observing his young nephews, "No sooner is a blessing sent my way that I ‘open’ it, throw away the wrapping, and start looking for "what’s next?" The boys had that very same tendency. I once read something to the effect that 'he loves life most who is thankful for least.' Would that we might be more and more appreciative for every (big word there), every blessing that comes our way, realizing, as my brother reminds me sometimes that, the only thing we deserve is hell – all else is mercy. Instead of saying "what’s next," perhaps we can train ourselves, by God’s grace, to more sense the wonder of our moment by moment blessings and develop a true sense of gratitude.

CS Lewis observed once that God gives us pleasures, happiness, and sensory delight as 'shafts of glory,' as beams of light that we can trace back to His hand. The pleasure maybe as small as the taste of fruit or as intense as sexual intimacy. Either way, we should receive them thankfully and reflectively with an awareness that they have come our way from a generous Provider. Too often, says Lewis, we are inattentive to the 'smell of deity' which hangs about the good things that we’ve been given. Or, perhaps worse, we suffer from a form of greed which skips over gratitude to simply ask for 'what’s next?' … O for grace to be grateful."

I re-read the passage 3 times. What a beautiful challenge as we all rest in the bounty of the last few days and look forward to ways to love and serve in 2010.

-------------------------
Stay tuned...there will be a Part Two to this post, specifically as it relates to the scorekeeping phase my children are going through right now...argh! I have observations--and I would love some input!

2 comments:

allison said...

I just couldn't keep silent any longer...your blog is so refreshing and I look forward to reading it each night. It's one of my favorite things at the end of my day. I read a few blogs but don't have one of my own...but none touch my heart and speak truth like yours does and I wanted you to know I appreciate it. I can always use your wise words with my children, my husband, friends...as we tackle LIFE on a daily basis. Thanks for opening your heart...Happy New Year! Blessings to you in the New Year.

Felicia said...

we have been seeing the same "observations" and unfortunately we did keep them to a minimum this year but only from "coaching" them in advance before we visited places. Someone was like "I would hate to have to coach my kids" but that is the only way they learn! so, that is what we did. It worked better than last year :) but we still had a few "tossing" this present to the side to wait for the next. It is ok. They just like the anticipation and element of surprise more than anything. We can turn that around to use to set an example of the wonderful anticipation we can have for our Lord and his daily gifts for us. with HIS blessings there is ALWAYS something to look forward to.