Sunday, November 15, 2009

Big Girl



This weekend my girl joined the ranks of the "Big Girls." She mastered her bicycle without training wheels.

She is immensely proud of her accomplishment--and I am too. She has been self-motivated to practice daily for the last week. Saturday her Daddy put her pedals back on and gave her a good push. It was the final step. The lights all clicked and she was on her way!

I have had a hard time keeping her off of the driveway since. She has spent the weekend going round and round. Each lap increased her confidence. They also seemed to age her. I feel like she turned 8 this weekend.

Her accomplishment also seemed to really motivate R. Tonight, in the dark, before dinner he was still working on catching up. All he lacks is learning how to get going. I think it is safe to assume he will be independently biking in a day or so.

There are so many other milestones that I think of as being "the big ones." This one snuck up on me.

How can it be? The next thing we know they will be losing teeth!

6 comments:

Robin said...

Jmom, you better not blink or you'll miss it...
-R

Kristen said...

What did you mean when you said you put the pedals back on? Love your blog by the way!

Jennifer said...

Kristen-To teach them balance we took the pedals off and let them practice riding Fred Flintstone style for a couple of weeks, then put the pedals back on and taught them how to pedal. It really did seem to help to let them isolate the balance part first.

Kristen said...

Good to know. K will be close to trying this soon, so this is helpful!

Stephanie said...

Hi! I am visiting your blog for the first time today and just finished reading the links to your story. I am blessed and amazed. To God be the glory!

I found my way to your page in search of information on putting blogs into book form, and wondered if you might be able to provide some insight into that? As a former scrapbooker turned blogger, I would love to have something tangible for my children to look through someday.

We are missionaries in Chile and I was also diagnosed with PCOS many years ago. God has since blessed us with three beautiful children through adoption, with two more on the way from Haiti. I am in awe of His unique and perfect plans for each of our lives. God bless you!

Sincerely,
Stephanie

Jennifer said...

Stephanie: Here's the post. Make sure to read other people's experiences in the comments section!
http://lotsofscotts.blogspot.com/2009/09/look-its-blook.html