Friday, October 02, 2009

Snapshots of Five

One of the primary motivators for recording these thoughts every night is to serve as my memory of these days when my feeble brain begins to forget.

My children are complete live wires these days, but 5 is truly a magical age. I have had several experiences in the last couple of days that I have tried to sear into my heart. None of them were especially significant, but while the memories are still fresh I want to record these mental snapshots.

K loves to skip. It is her preferred method of travel. Yesterday afternoon she helped me take the garbage cans out to the street. As we turned back to make the return trip up our long driveway she put her hand in mine and said, "Let's skip together, Mommy." And so we did. She had a smile from ear to ear--thrilled to be sharing her favorite pastime with her Mom. I thought for just a second about what my neighbors would think about a grown woman (in wedge heels no less) skipping up the driveway. I quickly got over it--sure I wouldn't trade that moment for anything in the world.

She is also very into song writing right now. She sings loudly and not quite on key...precious lyrics about God with some questionable (but sweet) theology. And she loves to make up cheers. They don't make much sense either, but her enthusiasm is so endearing it doesn't really matter.

At this age R & K are my helpful, eager, busy bees (Marthas like their Mom & Dad). They love to wash dishes, set the table, and do 'grown up' chores. P is not much of a worker, but he is very sweet and lovey. He told me yesterday that he wanted to marry me when he grew up. I reminded him that I already married Daddy.
"Well, what if we were kids at the same time and grew up together and you weren't married to Daddy because you were not my Mommy..."
His voice trailed off and he said, "Wait! I wouldn't like that very much!"
Melt a Mama's heart!

I also ADORE their imaginative games and ideas. We've made complex Wipeout courses with beanbags, ottomans and cushions, elaborate circus trapeze setups for their stuffed animals with Bendaroos and passports for all of their Webkinz. Today they entertained themselves for a solid 2 hours with a large box I had leaning against the garbage can. With no help from me, it was converted into a decorated puppet theater.

Late this afternoon they decided to write books. Using mini composition books they each set out to write stories, which meant I spent an hour being peppered with "how do you spell once-upon-a-time...how about invisible..." I made them sound most of the words out. The most humorous attempt was R's phonetic spelling of tired...t-i-y-u-r-d. Can you tell we live in Georgia?

Lest you think we are so calm and studious, both boys have been bringing sentences home due to their antics in 'afternoon class.' (Although in separate classes in the morning, they are together for the last 90 minutes of their school day.) Wednesday both boys had papers with "I will not disrupt afternoon line time" written on them. In the top left of each page their teacher had written the following:
P (started it)
R (followed)

The energy level is wearing me out...but the laughter, I wouldn't trade the laughter for anything!

A couple of days ago I asked the boys what they liked most about being in our family.
"Laughing together,"P answered.
"Aw, me too, buddy," I responded.
"My favorite thing is getting toys at Christmas," R offered.
"Even better than the love, R?" P asked.

They exhaust me. They try me. They delight me. Have I mentioned they exhaust me? But my heart is very, very full of joy and thankfulness.

5 comments:

S said...

P started it?? No way! LOL! I miss him so much but love the posts to catch up. Isn't it fantastic when at the end of the day you can barely keep your eyes open but still seem to be smiling ....I wouldn't trade being a Mom for anything in the world!

k and c's mom said...

Sounds like you have a teacher who "gets" your boys! Bet those words were written with an appreciation for sheer amount of LIFE in those two.

and 2 became 5 said...

Jennifer - it's davis here. I don't have your email address to send this link to you so i'm posting it here in your comments...hoping that's alright & hoping you are well.
http://hoodmamamel.blogspot.com/2009/10/open-letter-to-mothers-of-twins.html
you came to my mind. :)
davis

AnnG said...

Dealing with 3 - 5 year olds would exhaust any momma! But they are full of excitement and give your life some exciting times! Not to mention all these wonderful memories you are creating and recording for them to review one day in the future!

Bethany said...

What a sweet age they are at! I'm really enjoying my kindergarteners this year. They're so helpful compared to the multitude of 3 year olds., haha!