Monday, August 31, 2009

Our Bags

I first had this thought a few weeks ago as I was packing the childrens' backpacks to take on the plane to Maine. Our travel tradition involves my packing their carry on with mystery items that they do not get to see until we board the plane.

The contents are a mixture of things they will enjoy and things they need. As I pack the coloring books I think about themes they will enjoy...and I slide a few educational activities in for their betterment. I grin as I pack some things, thinking about how much my children will love them. There are other things that I realize will likely cause a groan, but I know they are for their good.

There is nothing fancy in there. Everything comes from the dollar store, yet, I take great pleasure in packing their bag.

I was struck by the thought again last week as I packed their lunches. I am sure the celery stalks do not excite them, but they are what they need. But the banana with "I love you" written on the peel in Sharpie...I wish I could see their face when they open that one. (I actually found one of these stuffed in R's pocket Friday. It was a couple of days old. He said he kept it because I wrote a note to him on it.)

I couldn't help but think about the bags God packs for our journeys. All our days are written in His book. He has plans and purposes for us. He designed us and equips us for the work He prepared in advance for us to do.He knows where we are going and what we will need along the way.

Each day reveals a little more about what He has packed in our bag. Some things bring groans and others bring grins...but all are gifts from a loving Father.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a friend that draws faces on her kids' fruit. One of his friends went home after school one day and asked his mom if she could start buying "the bananas with the faces on them instead?"

Too cute. We did the same thing with E with Dollar Store gifts when we took her to Wyoming this past Spring. It's a fantastic plan, and it kept her entertained for nearly 4 hours of traveling!!

Me said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I sooo needed that. Wrote a post on my blog to explain, if you're interested. I can sleep (and breathe!) easier with this change of perspective.

Mindy said...

Hi jen.
I just wanted to take a minute and say thank you.
You always write the most insightful posts and they are always encouraging to me and a reminder for me to be more focused.....
Thank you for allowing God to use you through your blog for my betterment. I know that isn't your intention -- but I am blessed.

in HIM -
Mindy

Love Being A Nonny said...

The Lord has packed some glorious things in my bags in the last few years in the form of new daughters and a son (all by marriage), and new grandbabies. I have also had some heavy bags over the years, but God is faithful to replenish those bags with delight. Thank you Jen!

Amy said...

Excellent analogy. And I'm just curious what your favorite mystery travel items are for your kids...I need some ideas!
Amy@balmingilead.typepad.com