Monday, July 20, 2009

Show Me Don't Tell Me

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that my children have discovered "Wipeout." This is the first primetime television show they have ever watched and for the most part it is slapstick-type humor without any adult themes to worry about. I did realize after a recent episode that there are still terms that are lost on my innocent little people.

We were riding down the road this weekend when P said to my husband, "Daddy, will you trash talk with me?"
My husband and I both started laughing. What on Earth? Where did that come from? Then I remembered a contestant on Wipeout that the commentators had nicknamed "The Trashtalker" for his taunting of the other contestants.

"P, do you know what it means to talk trash?" my husband asked. He then proceeded to explain that the best type of trash talking is to say nothing and let your performance speak for itself. He quoted a former high school coach, "Show me, don't tell me."

I was worried that my children might not understand that concept, but over the last couple of days I have heard P tell his siblings (and a friend or two), "Show me, don't tell me." It resonated with him.

Tonight as I overheard his statement, I started thinking about how relevant that is for adults too. I was especially convicted as a Christian. How often do we emphatically and emotionally profess our beliefs about the moral codes the Bible teaches us--and the inability/refusal of others to adhere to them--without being willing to roll up our sleeves and be part of the solution? A world full of fallen, broken people cannot save itself. Those of us who have been redeemed have a responsibility to stand in the gap and put our money where our mouth is with 'sinners' and non-believers. Are you pro-life? When is the last time you supported an unexpectedly pregnant woman?

Show me, Don't Tell Me.

Sunday morning, our pastor preached on two very obscure (to me anyway) parables in Matthew.

31He told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. 32Though it is the smallest of all your seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and perch in its branches."

33He told them still another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into a large amount[a] of flour until it worked all through the dough."


Our pastor used these parables to remind us of our ability as a part of the kingdom of God to penetrate our culture--despite how much smaller and insignificant we may feel as compared to the world. Both the small mustard seed and the minuscule amount of yeast grow to penetrate their surroundings. As I was reading more on this parable tonight I found this quote from Jeff Miller, "They both maintain a positive influence disproportionate to their size. They both provide for the needs of others. Can the same be said of our faith? Are we contagious?"

I think it is much more likely that we fear other people's sins and bad choices are contagious. Our pastor asserted that rather than leaning in and towards those most in need of the Gospel in our society, we lean away and we distance ourselves.

I was VERY convicted. Just last week I had discovered that in addition to experimentation with same-sex relationships, one of my 15 year old Monday night girls had recently lost her virginity while on a home visit. One of my girls announced that she was an atheist. Another girl had been caught shoplifting at Walmart.

I have an issue with my pride--and not wanting to feel as if I am being played for a fool. I told my husband (and the director of the home) that I was going to sit the girls down and 'call them out.' In my frustration and pride I even considered taking a break from the girls for a while. I am ashamed to admit that I went down the road of: If they don't want to learn about God then why am I wasting my time.

And I was reminded...loving people and sharing the good news of our Father's unconditional love is NEVER wasted time.

Seriously, who AM I? A sinner saved by grace...EQUAL to those who bear their scarlet letters, but for the fact that I received the free gift of salvation that was offered to me.

The world cries out against judgment and hypocrisy. May we not fear 'getting dirty' to the point that we isolate ourselves from the world we are told to love. May we live out our identity as salt and light. Let's show them, not just tell them.

9 comments:

MtnGirl said...

Hypocrisy and judgmental attitudes are one of the reasons I quit going to church. It's also one of the reasons why I don't pursue relationships with my pious father and sister!

The Adairsville Triangle said...

Oh..this so fits my feelings lately! I was talking about my feelings lately about Christianity and how it seems that a lot of people in small town America are judgemental on things that are just not in the Bible. It was actually brought to my attention that I might be less of a Christian because I am on my 2nd marriage (for reasons allowed IN THE BIBLE!!) I compare this to your Monday night meetings with the girls because even those who act like they are walking the walk arent living right. The minute they judge me, they are wrong but they do not see it. It falls on deaf ears because they think they are the cream of the crop. Does that make sense? Some of your words fall on deaf ears because they think they are the bottom of the barrel. How many times have you thought to yourself why does God love me so? What did I do to deserve His mercy? Think of how the girls must feel? Stinks to be there.. You are so good to keep on. If you remember, this subject is close to my heart so I hope it comes out right. One day..ONE (thats all it takes) will say..if it werent for JMOM there is no telling...keep on keeping on!

Traci said...

All we can do is plant the seed and fertilize it as best we can, but we still have no control over when the seed sprouts and finally begins to bear fruit. Stay faithful that at the proper time, they will remember and bear fruit. Hang in there, logic is generally not a strength in teens, but they'll surprise you one day.

sweetpea0944 said...

You definitely "Show it and not just tell it." It is obvious through your blog that Jesus guides you in all you do. Regretably, I don't think I could have handled "The Bully" with the grace that you did. I love your blog, it inspires me to be a better Christian.

KM said...

You are planting seeds in the lives of these precious teenage girls that may not bring forth fruit for many years to come. However, those seeds will bear fruit for them in their darkest hours of need and they will remember hearing about Jesus.

Love Being A Nonny said...

May I be Salt and Light!! Preach it! Good stuff JenMom, Good stuff!

Jayce Tohline said...

I loved your post today. Regarding the man in the resturant - you are so right - you cannot be all things to your children in the way of protection. But thanks be to God for Psalm 91 - especially in the AMP version-- I speak this over my children and family consistently. I have a daughter who is now a missionary teacher in Honduras - and i am so glad for the Promise of Ps 91!

some of my favorite parts: vs 1 - we dwell in the secret place of the Most High and remain stable and fixed under the shadow of the Almighty. vs2 He is my refuge and my fortress vs 3 He will deliver us from the snare of the flowler and from deadly pestilence. vs 7 A thousand may fall at my side, and ten thousand at my right hand, but it shall not come near me.
vs 10 There shall no evil befall me, nor any plague or calamity come near my tent. vs 11 for He has given His angels charge over me to accompany and defend and preserve me in all my ways of obedience and service. They shall bear me up on their hands, lest i should dash my foot agaisnt a stone.
vs 15 He will be with me in trouble and wioll deli eer me and honor me. vs 16 With long life will He satisfy me and show me His salvation.

Blessings,
Diane

JJ said...

Love that last paragraph!
Rewards will be based on our faithfulness, not successfulness. Amen?! I admire your perseverance- something I continually struggle with though so crucial in a life surrendered to the Lord. Thank you for sharing this!

pook55 said...

I stumbled across your blog when i did a google search for "trash talker" & "wipeout". The only reason I was doing that search is because I am the infamous "Trash Talker", lol. It was very suprising and enjoyable to see my experience on the show used in such a positive message. It was very refreshing, thank you!