Monday, January 19, 2009

Peacemaking

I had a fabulous visit with my precious college roommate, Daree, today. She drove 4 hours round trip for a 3 hour visit. She sat on the floor and played with my children. She told them old stories about their Mommy that were edifying and fun. She brought laughter, happiness, love and peace. She left my home (and my family) better than she found it!

The children and I had a nearly perfect day. Although we were stuck inside because of the cold weather, no one went to time out, no one pitched a single fit and I did not use my Mama Bear voice a single time. We were able to enjoy lunch and dinner with Daddy. While we were having dinner we saw snowflakes falling--a very unusual sighting here in the deep South. Our whole family vacated the table and went out onto the patio to savor the flakes...realizing there were certainly not going to stick.

As I tucked the children in, I thanked God for the gift of beautiful snow and a beautiful day. I appreciate them both because of their rarity. I savored our day and drank my children in--telling them repeatedly how proud I was of their behavior. Although I wish it were that we are 'turning a corner,' the truth is we have our sibling squabbles on a regular basis just like everybody else.

I am not sure if it is their age, cabin fever or the lack of sleep from the hacking cough they have had for three weeks, but the kids have been increasingly feisty lately. A nugget I gleaned from the devotion (Susan Hunt's ABC Bible Verses) we are currently using before bedtime has proven to be my new favorite mantra with the children when the squabbling or antagonizing begins: "Are you being a peacemaker or a troublemaker?"

It is a question that has been lingering in my heart as I encounter situations throughout my grown up days. What is my heart motive as I address this issue or repeat that story I heard? Am I seeking justice or peace? As I consider my response to various circumstances I ask: Am I a peacemaker or a troublemaker?

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God." Matthew 5:9

A fitting thought on the birthday of a man who changed history by bringing people together through non-violent protest. I feel increasingly at war with culture, but I can stand up for what's right in love and righteousness. And maybe sometimes it is a bit of troublemaking, but I pray it may be done with a spirit of humility and peace.

4 comments:

Megan @ Hold it Up to the Light said...

I, too, treasure the peaceful days with my 3. We had a similar day today, and it was so refreshing! May these days remind us that it IS possible!!!

God Bless You and love your Blog!

Tonya Ingram said...

I certainly need to find ABC Bible Verses for the boys. Sounds like a wonderful devotion for them. Mine too have those daily squabbles that just really get on my nerves at times and I probably don't react as I should sometimes. Glad you all had a near perfect day. We have those on rare occasions and they are definitely to be remembered.

Christi said...

You have no idea how much I needed to hear this today. I am struggling with an issue I feel needs to be addressed with a friend, but I am praying and searching my heart about my motive. Thanks for giving me some food for thought!

deborah said...

We had a very peaceful. enjoyable. get along day as well. As I was sitting back and thinking as to the 'why' (not that all our days are terrible) but it seems (at times) a fight can break out between my 3 boys at a moments notice.

It was my time with them that made the difference today. I made an effort to have a day with them. No dishes, laundry, errands...the stuff of life you must do. We had a break from all 'jobs' and enjoyed a day together.

If only I can remember that (my time with them helps) the next time that we have...issues.
I'm a fellow list-er and a do-er.
:)