Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Triple Fit

Yesterday afternoon it was cold and riany when I picked the children up from school, so we went to the mall's indoor playground to burn a little energy. After half an hour of excited play, we moved on to the food court for a snack. And then it happened...a moment I had hoped we were past: a triple fit, in public no less.

It all started as we were leaving the restrooms and passed a wall of vending machines full of plastic toys. R asked if they could each have one. I reached in my coat pocket and found 3 quarters. Unfortunately, all of these machines required 2-4 quarters each.

"Sorry, guys! I don't have enough money."
"But, please, Mom..."

I explained that I only had three quarters, so they would either have to select one toy to share or we were not going to get anything. K had her eye on a princess figurine. R insisted on a snake ring. P wanted a light up toy.

"It looks like sharing is not going to work. We'll find something less expensive. Let's go."

Then the wailing started. All three of my tired, hungry, overstimulated children looked like I had robbed them of their favorite toy as they stared at me with pained expressions, crocodile tears and open mouths. And they wailed.

It was clear that nothing I could say would be effective (especially since it would not be heard above the protests), so I turned and started slowly walking away. I looked back after a few steps and saw them all following me--still wailing. It was a comical sight, in that, I think it is what people expect when they think of parenting preschool aged multiples. And truly, what else could I do at this point but laugh?

As I turned back to keep walking I saw the face of a man walking towards me. He looked at the angry mob of children following me, then looked at me and offered me a look that was the classic combination of amusement and sympathy. I smiled back. In 8-10 more paces everyone's response had been reduced to pouty lips--and we moved on with our day.

It was strangely empowering to be able to power through an outburst like that--in public no less--with a sense of humor. There was a time not so long ago when my response would have involved a lot more emotion, high blood pressure and attempts at reasoning with the unreasonable. I have been known to pitch my own fits in response to theirs, unfortunately. It was also a great reminder of how much all four of us are growing...we haven't had fits like that in a long time.

The four of us are growing up!

9 comments:

Love Being A Nonny said...

The four of us are growing up...I love that! I love it!

Kellie said...

I've been reading your blog for awhile now and I love it - I have 3 children too, just different ages, my OLDEST is the same age as yours! Days are not easy, but they are filled with lots of fun and memories! Thanks for sharing your heart!

Bailey's Leaf said...

Good for you for showing a good example of parenting! I think that God sent you to the food court with little ones that were not so happy to show everyone that you don't need to yell, hit, threaten or drag your children. We all need to be reminded of that from time to time!

Tonya Ingram said...

uugghhh... I struggle with this more often than I'd like to admit, and I only have 2! Thanks for sharing... I will have to try the walking off next time this happens. I normally try to explain before we ever walk in a place of what can and cannot happen, but often times that is not always followed, lol.

Mindy said...

That is great that you powered through as you say. I don't have triplets but I do have 4 children and I'm not sure I would have been so grown up.

R said...

powering through that is the pinnacle of mothering achievement!! that's an encouraging story.

i often think something similar when dealing with my girls: "press in. don't back down. don't resort to something i'll regret".

Joni said...

Keeping your JOY in the midst of tripled tantrums...I love it!

k and c's mom said...

Oh! Good for you!

GE is me said...

Oh, Jen, I had to sit here & laugh at this blog post, being a mom of multiples. :) Yes, I well know the double fit. You handled it marvelously & just the way I would have as well. Wish I could have been there to lend support/see it. Don't you love that sympathetic look from others who have been there? Oh my goodness! I can usually sympathize much better when mine are at home with Daddy.
Glad y'all are growing up & this is not something that happens too frequently.
-Gail