Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday

I make it a personal goal to be finished with my Christmas shopping by December 1st each year. The month of December invariably gets hectic, but I try to plan ahead by getting the busy-work done so I can savor the season rather than feeling stressed by it. I start by shopping for extended family in late Summer/early Fall and take advantage of great deals as I find them. By spacing out the shopping I enjoy it more and it spreads the expense across several months rather than a huge hit at the end of the year.

There are always the last minute items--especially since 4 year olds change their minds a lot--but for the most part being essentially finished once Advent begins is a HUGE gift to myself each year.

I was, however, intrigued by what deals I might be missing today--and wanted to get a little taste of the action by Christmas shopping with the crowds, so K and I ventured out for a few decorating and wrapping supplies this afternoon. The boys accompanied my hubby to Home Depot and Blockbuster while K and I went to the Dollar Store and Wal-Mart. As we were driving I kept thinking of things I needed. I decided to give K a project and asked her if she could make a list for me. Her writing has been improving a lot, but I still was not sure how this was going to all work out. I spelled each item aloud and as I glanced back through my rear view mirror, she appeared to be dutifully writing them down.

Imagine my surprise when we arrived at our destination and she handed me this list.When did my baby girl become a full fledged shopping companion and scribe? It twinges my heart every time I look at this piece of notebook paper. The sweetness of little girl handwriting mixed with the reality that she is growing up.

I simply adore that curly headed girl!

14 comments:

Kathleen said...

Adorable!! Now that's a shopping list for the scrapbooks!

MtnGirl said...

That is an amazing shopping list for a 4 year old! WOW! It sounds like you had good Mama/Daughter time and Daddy had a good time with his sons.

Bethany said...

Wow, she did a fantastic job! Great work, K! I bet you'll save that! :)

Pam said...

She did a great job! They seem to grow up when your not looking!

Love Being A Nonny said...

Do you have a box for each of them? This needs to go in it, if you do....don't forget to date it. I use to think I could remember....silly me! Precious one on one time can never be replaced.

........wish I had all my shopping done!

Bailey's Leaf said...

You know, I should give my K- scribe projects, too! She'd love it!

Thanks!

Christi said...

I remember when Ryan first started writing words I dictated - I was simply amazed! He writes list for me now a lot, and has really gotten into writing letters to grandparents and extended family. Fun!

k and c's mom said...

How very precious!
I'd frame it.
(When my daughter was this age she would write down the things we were spelling in front of her that were supposed to be private or secret. She'd take it off and decode it until she could read it. The days of spelling in front of her ended very quickly!)

dee said...

Too precious!! It brings tears to my eyes just looking at it-I know it did yours.

Timmarie said...

That is the most adorable treasure of a list!!!

Completely precious.

HW said...

For some reason I can't get this precious paper out of my mind. I agree with K and C's mom - I'd frame it and maybe even have the mat printed with her age and the date.
It really is a sweet reminder of the phase of life you are in.

Anonymous said...

This is precious beyond words....I just love this age!!! Not babies anymore but little people. :)

Ms. ~K said...

After teaching primary school for 27 years, I can tell you this is amazing!!! (and priceless)
I think K is 4 going on 16!!!!
Ms. K
http://kit-dogdaze.blogspot.com/

Tonya Ingram said...

That just pulls a moms heart strings. Beautiful K! My Coby, who is also 4, wrote his name the other day and I didn't even know he COULD write his name! lol...