Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Big Questions

Some of the best advice I ever received as a Mom was to answer exactly what children are asking and little more (especially when it comes to big stuff like the birds and the bees). I had been cautioned that you get in trouble when you launch into a sermonette that is beyond the scope what they were asking in the first place. I was advised to let the children be the guide. They'll stop asking questions when they are satisfied.

Tonight I was thankful for that guidance as the following occurred with P:

"De-ya Gawd, Tank you for pictures of twains and tank you for my bed. Tank you for my Mommy who is soft and warm. And how do you make bodies? Can you tell me? In Jee-sus name we pway a-men."

"Mom, how does God make bodies?"
"Well, honey, he creates them inside of Mommies' tummies."
"But HOW?"
"It is a miracle. It is so amazing. He starts with teeny tiny things called cells that are like seeds or eggs and they grow and grow into a person."
"But how do you KNOW?"
"Well, buddy, I know that for a long time I didn't have any babies in my tummy and then one day I had three tiny babies, like little peanuts growing in there. You grew and grew and my tummy grew and grew, then you were born and you just keep growing."
"Oh! So you had an X-ray of the peanuts in your tummy and that's how you knew?"
"Exactly."

1 comment:

Kate Geisen said...

Haha...the questions get even more fun, as I'm sure you can imagine. I think the advice you were given was right on. I have always answered my kids honestly about their questions, and I've found that when you don't make a big deal of things, they don't think those things are a big, silly deal. Hmmm. I think you just gave me a blog topic. :D