Friday, June 13, 2008

Stand

Yesterday afternoon at the pool, I was sitting at my post on the edge of the shallow end as I watched R 'dive' right in. I was 4-5 feet behind him, so I did not see his expression, but was surprised to see such a bold move from my non-swimmer. I was even more surprised to see his arms and legs move like he planned to swim even more after he hit the water. Then I saw his face and realized he was not swimming. He was floundering. The water is only 2 1/2 feet where he was, so I knew all he had to do to avoid drowning was stand up. R, however, was so panicked that he forgot that strategy.

I tried to take a second before intervening, to give him a chance to remember. I stood up and shouted, "Stand up, buddy. Stand UP!" Then, I panicked, and charged into the water to snatch him up. He was shaken and sputtering as I cuddled him on the side and reminded him that he had the power to stand up all along.

This morning as I was making beds, I had a flashback to the events of yesterday afternoon. I was reminded how often I am just like my son. I get overwhelmed by my circumstances. I feel like I am helpless and drowning. I panic and forget that I can just stand.

Psalm 20:7-8
Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.
They are brought to their knees and fall, but we rise up and stand firm.


Psalm 40:2
He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.

I had this picture of my loving, heavenly Father watching when I am drowning in my panic saying, "Stand up, child. Just stand up."

We, as believers, have a firm foundation. We simply must focus on the eternal, not our temporarary circumstances and STAND rather than getting overwhelmed. We can stand in our identity as children of God.

And when the Bible speaks of temptation, the advice is similar.

I Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

Another great lesson from the mommy trenches. Thank you, God, for disrupting the 'monotony of motherhood' with stark reminders of who You are. Keep my heart and mind alert for what You are trying to teach me every day...and give me the courage and clarity of thought to stand up in You.

13 comments:

Brandy Thixton said...

What an on-time word! I really needed this tonight! Also, I read your "story" today, and what an amazing testimony you have! I'm so blessed by what God has done in your life! Thanks again for being so honest!

Dena said...

Wow, that really spoke to me - it's really just that simple, just stand.
Thank you.

texasknights said...

Love it. Such a great post. Thanks for sharing those verses. I so love them.

GE is me said...

J, thanks for sharing as always. Really good post. I have some multiple mom questions. First of all, I have NO CLUE how you have 3 active toddlers/preschoolers(which are they considered?)& can find time to spend in the word. I only have 2 & can barely do it.
We had an issue today that I could use some insight on. I needed to go to the bank & P.O. only about 1 mile round trip. So with gas prices soaring I decided to take the bike & cart. Well, sometimes I can use these "fun" things as motivators, but today JUST wasn't working. I immensely dislike threatening & not following through with it. But what do you do when it is only 1 of them not complying, would you take a different privilege away? I am not beyond that, but circumstances were not conducive to that today. And what do you do on those days?
Thanks so much for any insight you might have.
-Gail
p.s. if you don't want to comment on the blog, but would rather e-mail me you can reach me at geisme777@yahoo.com

Just call me D said...

thanks so much. i so needed that encouragement! i've been having a few "pity parties" around here lately. God reminded me through your post that He could give me a shot in the arm and make me feel better, or He could teach me how to STAND and walk in victory the next time a similar situation comes around.

ocean mommy said...

Wow. I love when God uses things like this to speak to our hearts. Very powerful....if you don't mind, I would like to link here in a post I'm working on for early next week.

Have a blessed weekend!
stephanie

Courtney said...

Thank you for sharing. I needed to hear that today! I love how the Lord uses you so gently to move into the hearts of those of us who need Him most. I appreciate you.

Jenny said...

A great lesson. Thanks for sharing!

Mary Lou said...

Yes indeed, wise words and brought tears to my eyes. You are right on target....we just need to stand. I can see your little one with panic on his face and the panic that must have been in his little heart. I don't like the water and won't go in unless I can stand and my head be out of the water, so I well understand his panic. You are such a great mommy and you are going to teach them so much about God. Blessings on your family.

Unknown said...

if only i had read that 2 years ago...but god is faithful even when we are faithless. thanks so much for your blog. i wish mine were deeper...xoxo ;)

Lydia said...

What a great post. Thank you for sharing. Here's another verse that came to my mind about standing:

Ephesians 6:13
"Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand."

I love the part about standing your ground. It seems like I'm having to do that a lot lately. Even Christian friends seem to be pulling me in directions that aren't "bad" but just aren't "best." I'm praying for the Lord to help me choose His best always. Thanks for the encouragement!

Christi said...

Thank you for a lovely reminder; I needed this, this morning.

annieology said...

We had that "uhoh" moment today. One of the boys hit the water and forgot everything in his three year old head. I don't know if I should stand, if I can swim, I'm just going to freak out 'til someone saves me.