Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Roots

I was never been remotely interested in gardening or planting, until recently. In the last couple of years I have ventured out into live plants in my home (that sometimes don't live as long as I'd like) arranging several mixed pots for my back patio and even planting a mini-garden this Spring with the children.

Is it motherhood that has awakened this nurturing in me? What is it about the smell of soil and managing the delicate greenery that is so satisfying? I think, for me, it is the beauty of these little pieces of creation...watching them grow and bloom. Supplying their needs, but realizing their individuality is predetermined. They cannot be man-handled; they must be protected and treated with care. Occasionally, the best thing for them is to be pruned. It is a lot like parenting!

Yesterday afternoon as I was transplanting herbs, I noticed the label on the oregano which said "deep roots." It really resonated with me. I want to be marked as one with deep roots. It seems to be a great goal in my parenting to help my children develop deep roots as well.

I was reminded of a passage that has meant a lot to our family. My friend, Stephanie, read this at our wedding as a prayer for our union. The final two verses were our proclamation after I was healed and the children were released from the NICU. This morning I am meditating on 17-20 as my desire for my children. Isn't it amazing how the same Word can speak freshly to you in different seasons of your life?

For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. Ephesians 3:14-21 (NIV)


And because I can never resist a comparison in The Message, here's that version:

My response is to get down on my knees before the Father, this magnificent Father who parcels out all heaven and earth. I ask him to strengthen you by his Spirit—not a brute strength but a glorious inner strength—that Christ will live in you as you open the door and invite him in. And I ask him that with both feet planted firmly on love, you'll be able to take in with all followers of Jesus the extravagant dimensions of Christ's love. Reach out and experience the breadth! Test its length! Plumb the depths! Rise to the heights! Live full lives, full in the fullness of God.

God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us.


I love that last line. Couldn't our children benefit from a renewed commitment to working deeply and gently with their hearts rather than demanding my way because I am the Mommy? I'm going to concentrate on that today.

God's Word is good.

5 comments:

Mindy said...

You read my mind today.
My prayer this morning was that I would live His call on my life in a worthy manner. My call right now is to be the godliest wife and mommy I can grow to be. That verse fits perfectly with my prayer.
Thanks!!
In HIM -
Mindy

Cheri (aka "The Mom Lady") said...

Thought you'd appreciate the message in the card I got my mom for Mother's Day - A good mother gives her children wings to fly - then inside it said - a GREAT mother remembers to open the window first!

So very true - and having those roots is what (a) allows us as mothers to give those children wings and (b) allows those children to soar!

Sarah said...

Just a side note...I love the new template...much easier to read and simpler. I love reading your blog...very uplifting and positive but genuine all the same.

Cammie said...

Hey Sister....I know I don't visit often- but I love it when I do! You are an amazing mom and I am so glad you are my friend! What a blessing you are to your family!
Love you
Cammie

Kelly @ Love Well said...

I love to cross-reference with The Message, too. Since I grew up deep in the Christian subculture, The Message is like reading the Bible for the first time to me. I actually hear it in my brain.

Great post. Reminds me of Psalm 1. "He is like a tree planted by streams of water which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither."