Thursday, May 29, 2008

Miscellaneous

I have so many things going on, there is no way to write a cohesive post with a point to cover them all. So rather than attempting creative, meaningful or inspiring writing, tonight's post is a list. Prepare yourself for mind-numbing randomness:

1. In the next 48 hours I have to pack enough for our family of five for 7 days in Colorado, where the temps are projected to range from 77 to 42. It is a family camp, so they are sure to get messy, requiring more than one outfit per day. That's going to be A LOT of clothes! I am already dreading the laundry upon our return. It may take until the end of the Summer to finish the job.

I am about 65% packed for the kids and I have completed their 'activity backpacks' for the plane. Still, I fear there is going to be a lot of last minute scrambling.

It is very important that we try to pack as compactly as possible since we have to get a double stroller, a single stroller, 3 car seats, 3 kids, carry-ons and our luggage from baggage claim to our rental car. Each time we fly as a family, I know that we seriously look like the Clampetts!

2. The children had their 4 year old check ups today. Small exam room. Eye tests. Hearing tests. Three shots each! Whew! For posterity, their heights and weights are as follows:
K 37" tall (18th percentile) 30lbs (5th percentile)
P 38" tall (23rd percentile) 27lbs (1st percentile)
R 39" tall (25th percentile) 28lbs (2nd percentile)

3. I have 18 thank you notes to write for the kids birthday gifts before we leave. The plan is to write them tonight so the children can sign them tomorrow. We'll see...

4. KP has been calling me from jail collect this week. I have missed every call. This is complicated, as it is in response to a letter I wrote her a week or so ago. I am anxious about what to say to her. I want to serve and love. I don't want to be manipulated.

5. Tonight we went to a little league playoff game in support of a team several of my friends' children play on. They kindly let my boys sit in the dugout. P complained that he couldn't 'see da field berry well.' R, on the other hand, was in HEAVEN. The players are 5-6 year olds, but they may as well have been playing in the majors. Several of them high fived R and his grin beamed for miles. When they all took the field, R said, "Mom, all my team left to play ball. I'm stayin' in here for them to come back." Precious!

6. P is having a hard time getting his Crocs on the right feet. Today I pointed out that they should be switched and he replied, "I am making a new rule, Mom. Whatever foot I put them on is the right foot."

7. We got Daddy a Wii for Father's Day, but I am unable to keep gifts secret, so I gave it to him yesterday. Needless to say, the last two nights have been spent watching him try to raise his Wii fitness score. Good times! (The kids don't even realize we have it yet.)

Enough list making, I'm off to be productive!

18 comments:

laurie said...

Maybe P has been watching Sadie put her shoes on too much :-)

The Hiatt Family said...

I'm praying for your trip-enjoy your time in CO and I'll look forward to seeing pics when you get home!

Colored With Memories said...

Wow, just reading your list makes me tired for you! I hope you get some sleep in the next 48 hours.

Blessings for a special trip to Colorado! We'll all be excited to hear all the fun stories!

Todd and Randi said...

The daddy in our house got an early Father's Day Wii as well! I think his Wii Fitness Age is now 27. He started at 41.

Courtney said...

Very fun. I liked the list! Have fun in CO! Should be lots of great memory making time!

The Wii is a blast! My 2 year old loves it and is getting quite good at some of the games. He's been doing it since he was 18 months old...the kids will love it! (if you plan to let them play too, ;))

Cheri (aka "The Mom Lady") said...

I gave my hubby a Wii this past weekend for early Father's Day as we were all gathered for one of the grandchildren's first birthdays and it was fun for all of us to play! I rock at bowling! I had no idea this would be THIS fun - can't wait to get it out when we have folks over for dinner. You'll ALL enjoy it.

After going to Disney with 5 grandchildren aged 3 and under, I hear ya on the carseats, backpacks, strollers, rental car issue. It was a bit of a zoo - but all part of the "magic"! :) Enjoy! (at least we had a washer and dryer in our villa...)

Tara said...

I feel really bad adding another task to your Friday to-do list! I will call you tomorrow to arrange pick up of the party goods. I promise to be in and out of your hair quickly! Talk to you soon.

Lydia said...

Hope you have a wonderful trip! I will pray that all the million details come together easily. :)

Anonymous said...

We got our Wii for Christmas and the 'newness' hasn't worn off yet. The kids love it - we've found a few games that they love that are really kid friendly too. MY 7 year old and I have some great tennis matches!

Maria said...

Not sure if you need your stroller at your destination or if it is too late, but I use and am in love with my go go kidz. You attach it to the car seat, and the seat becomes a stroller for the airport. It is my lifesaver!

Oh, and we have a wii and absolutely love it. My husband is a big gamer though...

Brandy Thixton said...

I am amazed at how much a video game can give "quality" family time! We loved our Wii (which is now somewhere in airline lost luggage land), and frequently found ourselves playing it on "date night."

As for the shoe thing... I have put arrows on the bottom of my daughter's shoes that point inward. So she knows (and my husband knows) that, when the arrows are pointing to each other, the shoes are on the right feet. It works great... until the sharpie wears off. I'm still working on a solution for that one.

Dena said...

We are headed to Colorado too! Can't wait myself, hope you all have a great trip.
I am so looking forward to the cool temps, but I hate to pack!

Just me said...

The last time we traveled with our two kids (so definitely not like traveling with 3...) one adult raced to the rental car while the other got the luggage- and the kids got divided up, just so that while I waited for the luggage with our toddler, my husband was already bringing the car around with the baby. Saved us lugging all our stuff to the shuttle to the car rental place... Good luck!

Are We There Yet? said...

I dont comment very often but I wanted to give you a tip. We found out that when renting a car, often times they will provide car seats for you, sometimes for a very small fee. The carseat was very clean and very up to date. Have a great trip.

MamaBear said...

I put a race car Jibbitz on the right foot of my son's crocs. That way I could remind him that the Race care goes on the Right foot. Just a thought....

Have a great trip!

R said...

Shots...oy vey! I took my now-6-month-old for hers this morning, and my 2 1/2 year-old won't need them again till she's 3. But I am DREADING it as she gets old enough to know what's happening and can communicate well!

I was not a good shot-taker: think little girl running around the whole dr. office with her pants around her ankles!

How am I going to deal with a 3-year-old asking me why I'm letting this happen to her?!

GE is me said...

I'm praying for your relationship with KP. As you said that you won't be manipulated. I pray this young lady will open her eyes & see the opportunity she has in front of her.
I'm amazed that the children's height & weight are so close to each other, but that K weighs the most.
The girls were 6#9oz & 5#14oz when they were born & about 1/2-1/4" difference in length. The weight has pretty much evened out, but the height is still the same.
Don't know if you'll get to post while in CO- if not you will be missed!

Mom of Eleven said...

Praying that you can get most of it done. Like me, that A type personality feels the need to check it all off. Just remember, it's okay if it's not all completed before tomorrow. Guess what, it will be there when you get back. You guys have an awesome trip!!
w