Friday, May 09, 2008

I Enjoy Being a Mom

This morning as I was taking out the trash a really neat centipede crossed my path. I was filled with schoolgirl excitement as I thought, "I can't wait to show this to the kids!" Then a broad grin crossed my face. This rediscovery of the world around me is one of the reasons I love being a Mom.

It prompted me to think of a few others things that make motherhood great. For all the hard work, emotional turmoil, humility and martyrdom involved...this job certainly has its benefits.

Hearing giggles from happy children is better for my soul than any spa-like CD.

Watching my children love, share and care for each other has renewed my faith in humans' capacity for love.

The built in buddies I have for whatever errand we have on our daily agenda, definitely make life more interesting.

The accountability of little eyes watching me...and their poignant words never cease to amaze me. Last night, for example, I was snappy at bedtime (an unfortunate, embarrassing trend in my parenting). R looked at me and quietly said, "Mommy, are you sorry for being angry?"
Gulp. "Yes, son, I am."
"I forgive you, Mommy." Then he gave me a hug.

Seeing glimpses of my adorable husband, mixed with flashes of myself, combined with unique individuals is a phenomenal miracle to observe.

Standing over my sleeping babes at the end of the day, staring at their profiles in the moonlight, listening to the perfect rhythm of their breathing...it makes everything right with the world.

Having children means you always have an excuse to buy cheetos or ice cream...and simultaneously spurs you to make healthier choices in the grocery store.

There is truly no telling what each new day will bring.

The art adorning my kitchen means more to me than any world class painting hanging in a museum.

Hearing my children sing praise songs might as well be an angel chorus from heaven.


As long as there are children in my home I will not have to worry about having too much pride. They do an excellent job of reminding me how flawed I am.

While there is a long list of the things about motherhood I detest (whining, laundry, cleaning little boy toilets, dealing with public tantrums, etc.), there are so many things I love about being a Mommy.

Five years ago, I was in throes of fertility treatments, wondering if it was really God's Will for me to be a mother or not. This weekend I rejoice that this was His plan.

5 comments:

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Amen and amen.

Happy Mother's Day!

Timmarie said...

What a sweet reminder of how truly blessed I am!

GE is me said...

I couldn't have said it better.
HOPE YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL, BLESSED, RELAXING MOTHER'S DAY!!!!
-Gail

Jenny said...

I love it too! Happy Mother's Day!

Mary Lou said...

You said it ALL. May your children rise up and bless you all the days of thier lives....