Saturday, May 31, 2008

Happy Trails

I absolutely love Colorado in the Summer and have amazing memories of my trips there with youth groups pre-children. My husband has equally fond memories of his Summer camping experience out West with Young Life. As a matter of fact, he was spending a month in Colorado volunteering at Frontier Ranch when he received his call to medicine.

We have never been together. The last time I went was June 2001. I was a counselor with a cabin full of twelve 10th grade girls. They have all graduated from college now. My man & I were dating and a few weeks away from being engaged. I'll never forget calling him from a pay phone at camp with a gaggle of 'my girls' giggling in the background. One of them got on the phone and told my him that I was "so cool because she is just like us!"
When I got back on the phone my grouchy, exhausted, post-call man said, "Do they really think that is a compliment? Please don't come home acting like a 10th grader."

It is such an amazing 'coming of age' to be going back to a place that has been so meaningful for both of us together and with our children. Quality time is my love language, so time with those I love most is a gift I treasure. I am beside myself with excitement.
We leave early in the morning and will be offline and unplugged until late Saturday.
I am taking a good old fashioned paper journal along (and my camera, of course). Until we meet again, have a great week!
P.S. I think we have rid ourselves of the rodent. After various unsuccessful attempts with sticky traps, kill free traps, old fashioned traps, I finally broke down and laced the oregano with poison last Sunday, since he was sleeping there every single night. The first morning after the lacing I found the soil disturbed--and now it has been 4 days and I have seen no signs of his return. I feel bad, but mice carry disease and I cannot have them frolicking in my kitchen. Not to worry, the herbs will all be disposed of when I return and am sure he is gone!
Here's hoping he hasn't just faked me out and moved his whole family in while we are away.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Have a great trip. The only time I was at Frontier was 2003 for a ski trip as a counselor. I miss it and hope I can bring my children back at some point.

twiceasnice said...

Have fun jmom....those kids will have a blast and you will come away with such amazing memories. When I am in the mountains of Colorado, you can't help but think about how amazing our God is, and what he has created. I will miss your blog for just a week!

Pam said...

Have a blast on your trip. Can't wait to hear about the new memories made and see the photos of all your fun.

I'll be praying for safety for all of you and for good health.

If you think of it, please pray Tuesday for my Sweetcheeks as she is having her tonsils out. Thanks, friend!

a portland granny said...

You will have a wonderful time, I know. Frontier Ranch brings back many memories. Young Life used to meet at our home in 1950-52 with 60-80 kids attending. My brother went to Frontier Ranch every year he could. (I was away at college, so never was an active part of it) But I have visited there....and it is breath taking, as I remember it.

Perhaps you will get a call to come out to Wild Horse Canyon in Eastern Oregon--a magnificent ranch that belongs to Young Life.

I'm thrilled with Young Life and the work that is being done with today's young people. I currently have a grandson very involved in it....and the Lord has changed his life through the program.

Trust your week is wonderful! What a marvelous trip for your family. The children will be beside themselves, I'm sure.

Loved their little buckeroo picture! It will be fun to hear about your week.

Have fun!

Blessings,
Joan

Young Creations said...

I am wishing you a safe and wonderful trip. And I so hope you come to a rodent free kitchen.

Lauren

Anonymous said...

I was at Frontier Ranch last year for a "Captivating" ladies retreat by Stasi Eldridge. Awesome Christian retreat at a place with breathtaking views. Great place. And the young life teens that worked the retreat were the best!
Have fun.

Heather said...

I was a Young Life Counselor at Frontier Ranch "back in the Day!"
Just read your story...God is AMAZING!
Enjoyed visiting your blog...hope you have a great trip with your wonderful family!

texasknights said...

I always wanted to go to Frontier Ranch. I ended up at Kanakuk and Camp Ozark.
Have a great time!

Paulette said...

I can relate, except my nightmare was a possom in my house for 2 weeks before just catching him in a trap!!!
I went to the cayman Islands and drove my kiddo's crazy asking them if it had been caught! Finally someone suggested putting cat food in the trap because he would touch nothing else!!! The cat food worked. My daughter said he follwed her out of a room one night and she said he was kind of cute but I was mortified!!! It is such a relief he is out of here.
Hope you are having an awesome trip.