Saturday, February 09, 2008

The Family That Fishes Together...

Today marks the 6th anniversary of the formation of the Scott family. (Happy Anniversary, honey!)


Since we had a grown-up getaway last weekend, we opted to spend today as a family. Daddy got his wish to finally take the children fishing and it was SO MUCH FUN!!! The weather was perfect: breezy, sunny and 62 degrees. The trout pond was stocked and the smiles, giggles and memories were abundant! This is probably my favorite family outing we have had in a LONG time.


Our 18 year old cousin, Scott, joined us--which was really helpful since three excited 3.5 year olds around water and brandishing long sticks with hooks can be a bit precarious. Daddy started the afternoon with a lesson. The children were far more interested in the live action of the first trout Scott caught and subsequently put into a bucket.


Because we were at a trout farm each of the children was able to catch a fish very quickly. Watching their excitement for each other was probably my favorite part of the day. K spent most of her time jumping up and down, either cheering for her brothers or chanting breathlessly, "I. So. 'Cited!"I wonder where she learned such enthusiasm?


Of course, my dainty little shrinking violet (ha. ha.) was completely fearless when holding a wild, flippy fish. Oops!Cousin Scott to the rescue (with a much more impressive trout he caught...and a rubber band from Mommy so we can actually see that sweet girl's face!)

R enjoyed the fishing immensely, but was not sure what to make of the trout once they were on dry land. I took a whole series of pictures of him getting closer and closer, but this was the best we could manage. Notice how, even here, he never takes his eyes off that unpredictable little fish.

I am sure it had nothing to do with the teasing of a certain teenage boy a few minutes earlier.P commented as we were standing on the bank of the pond, to no one in particular, "This is a great adventure!"

And, finally, this series of pictures made my day. Watch P (in the green) as he experiments with shaking the pole "to make 'dem dance."Looks like you got a dancer, P.Maybe I like them a little more docile...


If anyone had told me on my fairy tale wedding day, that six years later I'd be celebrating with three children under the age of four, in grubby jeans and covered in the scent of fish, I wouldn't have been able to fathom it.

Today, I honestly could not think of anything better. Time does bring wisdom.

18 comments:

Michelle said...

You have made me smile. Thank you.

tiffany zajas said...

Happy anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary!

What a special family day, looks like you all had a great time!

a portland granny said...

What wonderful memories you are making for your little threesome!! They will never forget these outings. I'm so glad you write down the darling things that they say--they'll love hearing about their cute sayings all of their lives!! You folks are a nice, nice family!

Congratulations on your anniversary. God has been gracious to all of you!

Jenny said...

What a fun day for you guys! Happy Anniversary!

Kris said...

Happy Anniversary! That is so sweet, to celebrate as a family the day your family was established. I can't imagine 62 degrees - it looks like a beautiful & fun day!

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Beautiful picture of you and your husband at the wedding.

But the pictures of the whole family, enjoying an anniversary fishing expedition? Those are priceless.

Deidre said...

Happy Anniversary! I love the pictures!

Erin said...

Happy Anniversary!

A day those three cuties won't soon forget!!!

Keri said...

That looks like so much fun! I bet you'll ALWAYS remember your sixth anniversary!

It seems to God put our families on a similar schedule: my husband and I will celebrate our sixth anniversary this coming Friday, the 15th. And I might have mentioned before that our daughter was born on May 6, just a couple weeks ahead of your little ones! :-)

keri said...

what a sweet day together....happy anniversary to ya'll! evan has been fishing once and he told me the other day that he can't wait to go again. i bet after a day like ya'll had...you will hear your little ones say the same!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Happy Anniversary!

Kelly said...

What a sweet post and how very blessed you are! I love your wedding picture - you looked so beautiful!
Happy Anniversary!

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

What a blessed time. It doesn't get much better than that!

Making precious memories...

Blessings, Joanne

Mary Lou said...

Happy Anniversary! What beautiful memories for all of you. God blessed you greatly..Many, Many more happy years together....Blessings on your life together..

Trudy said...

What a great day - they'll always remember it! I think you sparked something. Someday in the future, P's wife will be anxiously waiting for him to return from another fishing trip.

Happy Anniversary - beautiful wedding photo.

Tee said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! What wonderful memories were made on your adventure. Fishing is one of our favorate activities! LOVED THE PICS. Your children would love fishing at the Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center just south of Mansfield, GA Where is Mansfield? You take I-20 E to the Social Circle exit, go south about 11 miles. They have a pond just for kids. I must tell you it is catch and release, but the place is wonderful. You can call them for info 770-784-3121.

Renee said...

Happy Anniversary! I forgot that our was just 364 days apart. Looks like y'all had a great time! #3 says he wants to go fishing for his bday, and I'm sure that'll be just what we do. :)