Sunday, August 19, 2007

Lessons from Camp

My husband and I just returned from 36 hours of Young Life camp in North Georgia. It was a wonderful time to get away and enjoy renewed perspective, fellowship and worship. I reflected on the ride home about what lessons I wanted to take away from our weekend. I wanted something in a neat little themed package...but truthfully I am still processing much of the great teaching we received.

I did realize this weekend, that one of the most rewarding blessings of ministry is watching the circles it forms and how God uses some to sow seeds and others to reap. It often takes years to realize the impact of the small things. This weekend I was blessed to reunite with over a dozen people from different chapters of my life. Some of them were my Young Life leaders 17 years ago...and they still have the passion. I can only imagine how they felt to see a former Young Life "kid" of theirs now serving in a leadership role with the ministry in another city. Incredible!

In the same way, I remember volunteering to clear the brush for construction to begin on this camp almost 10 years ago. Now they host thousands of kids each Summer and many of them hear about and respond to the hope of Christ for the first time. Even though my part in all this was very, very small, it meant so much to me to be there this weekend and see how far the camp had come.

Isn't that the beauty of being used by God? Knowing that anyone could have been out there cutting the brush-- I certainly don't possess any great skills in that area. Yet, by virtue of my "sweat equity" God allowed me to feel a part of something so much bigger than myself.

This is what I love about ministry. If God calls me and I don't answer, He will still get the work done. He doesn't NEED me. But He allows us to participate in His work...and having that front row seat to witness how He is working is one of the greatest faith builders around.

Next time I find myself motivated to serve by guilt, duty or any other less than pure motive, I pray I can remember that the freedom of Christ means I don't HAVE TO do anything...but what a blessing that God invites us to participate in His work...incredible!

We also spent a lot of time hearing encouragement to think of ourselves more like God thinks of us: as His beloved. I loved a quote the speaker used, attributed to St. Anthony, "Behold God beholding you...and smiling."

Our God does not stand in the distance critiquing our every move, pointing out our weaknesses and our failures for kicks. He loves us. He created us. He invites us to fellowship and relationship with Himself.

If the all-powerful God of the Universe views us this way, why aren't we more gentle with ourselves and with others?

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.
John 13:34-35

6 comments:

KirkKrew said...

You must be talking about Sharp Top...I took my first group as a leader there 8 years ago. :) I think that was the first summer it was open. Thanks for your dedication to YL. I think it is an awesome organization!!

Emmy said...

I am so glad you all had an AWESOME weekend! You deserve it! Wow that was a powerful post! I needed that! SO true! Thank you! Emmy : )

Unknown said...

You wrote exactly what I needed to hear today. I have such a heart for youth ministry at our church (used to be a YL leader too). Thanks for the encouragement.

Anna
http://sincerelyanna.wordpress.com

Mom of Eleven said...

I really needed that boost this morning. Thank you for your words of encouragement. I feel my day would have been pretty bad, had I not just sat down and read this. Thanks so much.
wendy

Jill said...

Jenn- Do you know Donnie Edwards? He's really active in YL and is a member of the same Sunday School I attend in Marietta. He may have been at this same conference since he specifically asked for prayers for YL leaders in your city (and I only know where you live by coincidence because a friend of a friend knows your husband). So, just know, I'm praying for your YL group, as are several members of our Sunday School class.

The Jones Family said...

If God calls me and I don't answer, He will still get the work done. He doesn't NEED me. But He allows us to participate in His work...

Loved that.