Thursday, January 11, 2007

Potty Potty Potty

I always thought I would use a "weekend potty training bootcamp" approach to ridding our family of diapers. I still might eventually. The reality is that our family's life is too busy to go into hibernation for a few days right now.

Instead, we have been "dabbling" in potty training since Christmas. The kiddos each go 1-2 times a day on the toilet, so we are making progress. They are rewarded with High 5's, chocolate and magnets on their behavior chart. So far, this little "unorganized" approach is working.

P is totally nonchalant. He never tells me he needs to go, but will go immediately when I place him on the potty.

R is leading the charge. He goes each night before bed and has even gone #2. Interestingly, I received a note home from Mother's Morning Out last week that he announced he ONLY uses his potty at home.

Then there is K, who is FASCINATED by watching other people go to the potty. I have had to institute a viewing rule that you must stand at least 2 feet away. She is truly my little 'nosy neighbor' and wants a front row seat to any action.

After lunch today, I noticed a foul smell from K and asked her if she needed a change.
K: "No, I still workin' on it."
Me: "Would you like to go work on the potty?"
K: "Yeah."
R: "I come watch you, K. I need to watch."
K: "No, R. I need some pwi-va-cy!"
R: "OK. I shut da door."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are too funny. I love it when you quote them. I always try to picture their little expressions when they are saying things.

The Snipes said...

I came across your blog through Perri's a while back and have visited often. Your story & life leaves me in awe. I normally don't comment (on anyone's blog)...but when I read the words "weekend potty training bootcamp" I had to! My husband came up with that exact idea (same title and all) when we potty-trained our now 4 1/2 year old. We used Labor Day weekend (right after he turned 3). I had serious doubts, but it actually WORKED! Granted, we had 1...I can't imagine 3! Best of Luck!

Anonymous said...

My youngest daughter started asking for privacy when she was potty training. It was so cute and the first time my Granny heard her say it, I thought Granny would never stop laughing. Now Gracie is 8 1/2 and she still asks for privacy. Best of luck with the potty training!