Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Hot Man!

Well, apparently the marketing people have been working overtime on the Pirates of the Caribbean promotions, because this image is everywhere we turn. P first spotted it in on the cover of a book in the children's section of Barnes & Noble and started yelling, "Hot Man! Hot Man!"

Today it was on the side of my styrofoam cup from McDonald's. The kiddos remembered the photo and all started shouting, "Hot Man! Hot Man!"

I am really not an extremist. I believe strongly that we should be IN the world, but not OF the world...but holy cow, that is a scary image for little guys! They don't seem that frightened, but what a harsh image to sear into their little minds. Is it so wrong to want to protect them from the harsh, scary things of the world as long as possible?

As we have been out & about a lot more lately I have been reminded of just how much little eyes & ears have access to, just walking around in public places. It is impossible to avoid the graphic lyrics of "love songs" playing in stores, overheard conversations between strangers, movie posters & magazines in the grocery store aisle. I am going to refrain from getting on a soapbox here...but I had no idea this all started so early! YIKES!

9 comments:

keri said...

jen, we were in the disney store at the mall monday and they had a huge "pirates of the carribean" stand selling costumes, etc! i know its a disney movie...but geez! we went and saw the movie and i couldn't believe that i saw 4 & 5 year olds in the theatre watching these creepy, SCARY creatures (have you seen it?!). anyway, i know what you are saying. its hard to keep them from these kinds of images...but i know stuff like this has attributed to ella's fears lately.

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Having little ones around sure gives you different eyes and ears, doesn't. It sure seems impossible to shelter them from some things. Sometimes my girls and I talk about what we see and hear. They can start to understand good and evil pretty quickly.

Anonymous said...

I hadn't even thought of those things while in public.

LeslieAnn said...

I absolutely love your blog!

We're bombarded with sights and sounds every day that are just annoying. I feel sorry for kids now...but I like what you said about being IN and not OF the world. We just have to make our homes havens for our children.

I did see this movie and I was grossed out the whole time. I loved the first one and I did like this one too...I just wish I could have heard it and not seen it. Ick.

Paulette said...

Yes and it is never to early to say wow that is not a nice picture, just not to put fear in. It is not ok that a picture like that is on a McDonalds cup especially under 4 or 5. I feel the same way and did so when my children were little. Of course it is all about marketing but for me it does sear images in there little minds so you are right on mom!

Wendy said...

I agree. Kids are bombarded with so many things at an early age, even when you try not to let them be. My kids just recently started noticing people smoking and were asking about that. It is just part of life here I know, but still makes me kind of sad when they hear and see things that I wish they didn't.

Addie said...

I was surprised that they were Happy Meal toys at McDonalds. Why are they marketing this to kids???

I like their name for it "Hot Man!" :-)

Teresa said...

I agree...kids grow up way too fast. I guess this is a prime example of things that make them do so.

Hot Man ... it's pretty funny though! =)

Unknown said...

I just said last week, "This is a PG13 film! Why would they put these toys in Happy Meals! Duh!" It bothered me a little and I don't usually get bothered about that stuff.