Friday, August 04, 2006

Good Job, Mommy

Coming up with ways to keep the kiddos occupied on stifling, hot, humid August days is requiring all the creativity I can muster. Yesterday we were playing in the water hose, in the shade, while eating popsicles and still could not stand to be outdoors for more than about 15 minutes.

This morning I decided to journey to Target. It is 35 minutes away. The kids behaved beautifully, despite all 3 being in a shopping cart built for one child. (I loaded all my goods onto the rack beneath the big basket.)

As a reward for their good behavior we ventured to ChicFilA for lunch afterwards. I am still a bit anxious about taking them out alone without the stroller...but they were wonderful and truly exceeded my expectations.

As we got back into the car, I was praising them for being so well mannered and started singing a little made up song to each one of them as they were being buckled into their carseats: "Good job, R(K/P)." Each of their little faces would look at me so expectantly as I was singing the song to a sibling and would then BEAM with pride when I got to their name.

After I finished, I buckled myself in and heard P singing softly, "Good job, Mommeeee. You behave in ChicfilA."

It melted my heart...and I beamed with pride. I guess we never outgrow our need for a little appreciation and positive reinforcement!

14 comments:

Teresa said...

I can't wait for all the laughs we'll get when my boys finally start talking clearly.

That is TOO cute! They are truly treasures.

Anonymous said...

What a precious story. I have really enjoyed reading your blog and this is my first comment. I've been reading for a few months after following a link from another blog, maybe Perri's? Anyway, I'm glad I found you. Enjoy your 3 precious gifts.

boomama said...

It really is so sweet when the little ones start to encourage YOU. A. will often say, "Oh, Mama - what a great idea!" or "GOOD JOB, Mama!"

And then I eat him up completely. :-)

Renee said...

How sweet! It does feel so good when our little ones encourage us. My oldest tells me "Good Job" about the silliest things, but it just makes me smile.

Glad you had an enjoyable outing!

Eagles Wings said...

Oh that is so sweet! Yes you are so brave. I have ventured with my 3 year old and twin 16 month old boys and returned home after the 3 yr old not listening.
It's just so precious when they love on mommy that way! thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

Hi! I came across your blog this evening and just want to say what a sweet story!! You have beautiful children! My twins are 10 now and they are growing up way too fast (along with their older brother and sister who are going off to college soon).

Perri said...

What a funny story. They are going to love reading all of these someday.

AL said...

I am a HUGE encourager of Edification - that's sooo awesome that Parker has started saying edifying things, it comes from hearing his mommy say them...... KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK.

Unknown said...

Okay I just have two kids (soon will have three) and there are 23 months apart. But when we go to Target and then to get food and they behave, I feel so great! It is such an accomplishment. Now YOU really are an amazing mom and you should not just feel proud of those kiddos but of yourself too. When you have a bad day at Target, think back to this day. Remind yourself that a good day is on it's way!

Michelle said...

Trips (errands generally!) with the kids that go well really boost my Mommy morale! I just love it when my sweeties say "Thank you, Mommy for ____." That melts me to the core.

It has been so hot, yesterday I broke down and took my guys to the indoor playground at McDonalds. They had to burn some energy!

Unknown said...

When given a chance, our babies can be our biggest cheerleaders in life!! You are seeing the fruit of your patience, love and support. Cool, huh?

Anonymous said...

How wondeful! Sounds like you had a good time.

I ran across your blog via "Far More than Rubies"

Susie said...

Hi,
I came here from Melene's! Three babies, what a blessing! I loved reading this story and will return when I have a bit more time...

Borbe Bunch said...

HI,
I have enjoyed your blog :) I have a good friend that has 4 yr. old triplets and then God blessed them with another son who is now 2. Their triplets are two boys and a girl....so it was really fun to read and see your sweet blessings! God is so good and I am glad that you have been blessed by your children. You sound like a very sweet and godly mommy to them! God BLESS you!
Love IN HIM, a mommy to two girls, one that loves the dirt and one that loves the tutus, a son who is are miracle from God in many ways, and another baby boy due in three months!
Liz