Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Notes From the Trenches: The Summer of Seventeen

A quick note today from a grateful heart.

The early parenting years were largely about survival. The middle full of adventure, humility, and revelation. These last couple of at-home years remain to be seen...but this Summer has been providing glimpses that fill me with joy and wonder. 

I don't want to speak too soon. I am well aware that life takes twists and turns. Undoubtedly, we still face chapters of tragedy and triumph, joy and pain. But I don't want my fear of those future chapters to prevent a pause to savor the sweetness of right now. So, today I am writing this for myself. 

I am finally (mostly) finding peace and joy in my role as the Pit Crew. As these young people are dashing in and out from sports, jobs, camps, and social outings I am here. My role is feeding, clothing, reminding, listening, and otherwise providing rest from the last adventure and equipping for the next. I still have plenty of my own responsibilities and interests, but the ministry of availability is beginning to feel as rewarding as my prior obsession with productivity. 

And by the grace of God, the Cinderella feeling that once tinged these roles has dissipated and I am relishing the chance to show love to my people in practical ways. Their independence is still my goal, but being a soft place to land--a spot they want to come home to--is a gift. 

What fun to watch the young adults emerge from these children! They need space and grace. I am truly thankful for the opportunity to provide both.

Seventeen, I like you so. 

1 comment:

Bren said...

I am a newer reader of your blog, but had to share that this post so spoke to me. As a mom to three who have all passed this stage and are 20-24 now, I treasure my memories of the age your three are at. It is such a sweet time. Just like you said, undoubtedly there will be continued joy, along with trials in the years ahead, but stopping to enjoy this moment, the one you are in right now, is such a precious gift. Thank you for sharing!