Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Harold

Our commute to school only takes 6-7 minutes. We meander through 10-12 blocks of a neighborhood before popping out onto the main thoroughfare at the intersection adjacent to an elementary school. Because the traffic light is triggered only by our arrival at the intersection, we stop every day and wait for a minute or so.

Posted at this particular corner is an elderly crossing guard. We smile and wave to him each morning. Without conversation, we have an affectionate friendship of sorts.

Several weeks ago, we arrived at the light to find his post unmanned. We missed our crossing guard's smile, but didn't grow that concerned until a whole week had passed without him. It was during this year's particularly virulent flu season, so I assumed he was ill and we started praying for him. After two weeks, I found myself reading the obituaries--fearful our friend had passed away.

I didn't know his name, but would read for any clue that it might be the man we affectionately dubbed "Harold." In retrospect, there was no real reason this is the moniker we chose to identify our silver-haired friend. It just seemed to fit and was the name that came to mind as we would pray for him (and less of a mouthful than "our sweet crossing guard friend.")

Monday morning as we approached the light he was there! After a couple of months of fearing the worst and praying for him with concerned hearts, we were all overjoyed! I rolled down the passenger window and welcomed him back to his post. He explained he had experienced a heart attack, but was feeling much better. We told him we had been praying in his absence. Then I confessed my embarrassment that we had not known his name. I introduced myself and he responded with a smile, "My name is Harold."

The middle schoolers in my car all audibly gasped. Of course, it was!

As we drove away with silly grins on our face it felt like God had given us all the sweetest lesson in His care and concern for the details--and that as we pray, He will meet us there and fill in the blanks.

This is a difficult season for one of my people in particular. As this young person that I adore walks through challenges, I know prayer is my greatest weapon--and yet I am so flustered with how and what to pray. I needed this reminder as much as my children that GOD KNOWS THE DETAILS. He wants us to trust Him--to come as we are, with what we know (or think or fear) and let Him handle the details.

I am grateful God has posted this daily reminder on our way to school in the form of Harold and his warm smile.

2 comments:

Kelly S said...

What a great way to be observant of those common people around us every day, that we have a chance to interact with. This is a great story.

Unknown said...

Wow brilliant post , definitely a God Thing in regards to Harold.
A really good book I’m slowly reading is The power of a praying parent by Stormie Omartian. Well worth reading