Friday, December 29, 2017

Christmas Wrap Up

As I ponder this year's holiday experience, I think it is safe to say it is one of the richest and most authentic celebrations of Christmas I have experienced.

For the last several years I have committed myself to being 'finished' with all the Christmas prep of shopping, wrapping and cards by December 1st. (I use a liberal definition of finished, but 85-90% counts ;) This requires a little planning but truly allows me to experience the celebration of Advent by being present instead of stressed and rushed.

To accomplish this goal, I break my shopping list down into categories (nieces and nephews, work gifts, friend gifts, grandparents, etc.) and start purchasing in August. I find this spreads out the expense as well. I use Amazon wish lists for my children as it allows them to research prices, reviews, etc on items they are interested in (and is easy to pass along to close family members and grandparents looking for ideas).

I set a goal of ordering my Christmas cards and the traditional photo calendars we make for grandparents by Thanksgiving, this allows me to take advantage of preseason coupons and stretch out the envelope addressing process over a few weeks.

This year we also accepted an invitation from friends to travel to Colorado for a ski trip the week before Christmas. Frankly, I had a lot of anxiety about this because even though I am committed to me December 1 completion of the to do list, there are always last minute items.

Saying yes led me to simplify my Christmas decorating. I only put up one tree instead of two and opted to not put up the wreaths on the outside of our home. (An unexpected snow the weekend we planned to do exterior decorating also sealed the deal.) I was surprised to find I didn't really miss the extra décor.

We left town December 16-17 for a four city tour of funeral, wrestling tournament, out of town family celebration and birthday dinner. We regrouped on the 18th and then left for our ski trip with friends. We pulled back into our driveway just before midnight on the 23rd, collapsed into bed and awoke to Christmas Eve guests.

There was peace and a resignation that all the truly important things had been handled. If it had not been done ahead of time, God gave me the very-unlike-me ability to let it go. We had food, family, our church to worship in and felt rested from our frenzy-free trip--ready to truly soak in the celebration. Although, I actually made trips to Wal-Mart and the grocery store 12/24 because I am a sucker for the energy of the last minute rush.

I don't share my methodology for any other reason than as encouragement that if this scattered woman can do it, anyone can! I am committed to this plan because of the purpose and peace a little planning on the front in seems to bring.

In the couple of days since Christmas, I have been able to gloriously lose track of what day of the week it is. I have been able to spend face to face time with people I care about and let some of the leftover mess go. Instead of a frenzied takedown of Christmas I am doing a little at a time and it feels pensive and sweet, not just another item on the to do list. I am learning that bite-sized pieces are much better for my soul. (And big kid helpers aren't such a bad thing either.)

I have also been keenly aware of the human condition this year. The week of Christmas started with the untimely death of a dear friend of my husband's and has included lengthy conversations with people I care about who are in pain, poverty, recovering from addiction--but rather than sadness, I am more reminded than ever that THIS IS CHRISTMAS--Emmanuel, God With Us, who came because He had to enter into the muck and heartache in order to rescue us from it.

The older I get the more real this muck becomes to me. I have people I care about literally drowning in their muck right now. I am trying to celebrate Christmas year round by entering in-- but I am not Him. It makes me sad and sick and sometimes scared. Which leads me right back to my need for Him. I can't rescue anybody, but I pray I can introduce them to the Rescuer by authentically seeking Him, speaking of Him and reflecting His love more often than I do.

A hope for 2018...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Definitely a divinely appointed gift from God to simplify and enjoy, rather than stress over perceived perfection in the season. I changed my expectations this Christmas to one of low key, simplicity and quietness. This was the first Christmas without my oldest son, he lives in London now, and so I didn't want to do the same things we always did. I knew it was going to be different and worked to embrace this differenc and enjoy it simply. I didnt put up any outdoor lights and kept my tree decor simple. It was a lovely Christmas and I had to at times lean heavily into God when I missed my son so much it hurt, when fear replaced the faith and intimacy and trust I have with God, that He will take care of each of us, no matter where we are. God also showed me through different conversations that he has my son and is watching over him. There have been 3 terror related attacks in London since my son moved there and the panic can sometimes overwhelm me if I let it. But I pray, I pray in the day, I pray in the night when I can't sleep, and in the meantime God reminds me that He has it all, I can rest in Him. Faith over fear.