Sunday, April 12, 2015

Just Dance

This weekend my children rediscovered the Just Dance Wii game they received for Christmas. After listening to their giggles and karaoke for a few songs, I wanted to play. To the delight of my daughter and the horror/amusement of my son, I grabbed a controller.

(P thought he was blackmailing me by taking pictures. He has yet to learn I have no shame.)
I have played before, but not the songs they were choosing, so I was totally reliant on the on screen-examples for my part. To further complicate things, each of us had our own specific dancer to follow. In some parts we were synchronized, in others our moves were complementary or contrasting. There were even some group moves that depended on each getting their respective parts just right.

I was tempted to check the score or to look left and right at how those dancing with me were doing--but all of that required taking my eyes off the one who was leading my dance, which resulted in disaster. I could not perform my part AND keep track of everyone else. I had to stay focused and just dance.

I was reminded that taking months off from working out does make a difference at 40 by the burning in my shoulders. Who knew a Wii game could be a legit middle aged work out? But there was a more basic message, one that seems especially important to me as I stand on the edge of 'life as I know it' and a venture into a new chapter.  Lately my moves feel as awkward and clumsy as a middle aged Mama trying to dance to hip hop. :)

In life we have parts to play, different moves choreographed by the same Father, meant for an ultimate purpose that we don't usually understand in the moment. Sometimes our movements are in unity with those around us...and other times we are called to step out and do something different. 

Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone.  To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
I Corinthians 12: 4-7 ESV

To perform our role with excellence, we must avoid the temptation to look around, keep track of the score or compare ourselves to the people around us. We must keep our eyes on our guide.

"Pay attention to the ministry you have received in the Lord, so that you can accomplish it." Colossians 4: 17

May we fix our eyes on Him, trust Him as He leads us one move at a time and, as cheesy as it sounds, just dance.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had a chuckle over your feeling 40 comment. I find that unless I'm doing regular exercise I wear out quite quickly and am sore in parts of my body I'd forgotten existed. Loving the way you link daily life to our spiritual challenges too.