Monday, September 30, 2013

They Bloom & Grow

I spent two hours tonight rehearsing songs with my K. Tomorrow she will experience her first audition for the school's Winter production of The Sound of Music. The young theater actress in me has been awakened. It was such fun to share my old passion with my girl.

After dinner I watched my R e-mail his teacher without assistance to handle a homework problem. He is such a little man who always has a plan. He melted me when he ended his note with "I am glad you are my math teacher."

This afternoon I took P to the orthodontist for the installation of the first of many phases of work. It pressed all his sensory triggers and he handled it like a champ. I was so very proud of him.

I couldn't help but shake my head when I read the sticky note on my back door this afternoon. Written in my children's handwriting, requests for vitamins and contact solution...how did we get here?

And even though I know they are only nine years old and we have a lot of years left, I am reminded that we have come a LONG way since this...



Not to overly romanticize the past, I am mindful that every age and stage has its unique gifts and challenges. Ours just seem to pass in a blur sometimes.
 
These really are good days. I marvel at the people these kiddos are becoming. No more diapers, strollers or car seats. Delightful conversations. Grand plans. Creative ideas. Nights of uninterrupted sleep. Children who can self entertain.

But it would be a lie to say that some days it doesn't feel a little bittersweet.

2 comments:

Diane said...

You have come so far!! I love looking back at pictures to simply remember. Sometimes it all seems like a blur and I want have specific memories to share with my kids. Rejoicing in the "now" is so important too. I really appreciate your perspective. Your children are beautiful. :)Diane

Keri said...

I believe the word "bittersweet" was made specifically for the feeling of watching your children grow up. It never ceases to amaze me how I can love and thoroughly enjoy the stage my children are currently in (for all of the same reasons you mention here) while at the same time looking wistfully at pictures of them from several years ago...often wishing for the proverbial "just one more week" with them at that earlier stage of life. It's hard to find words to express that feeling, isn't it? As I said, I think that's why the word "bittersweet" was invented. ;-)

My own mom said she can't even look at pictures from mine and my siblings' childhood without crying, and so she simply DOESN'T look at them. While I appreciate the depth of her emotions, I do hope I never get to that point. I hope I can always look back at pictures of prior times with as much joy and gratitude as wistfulness....