Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Real Beauty

I have long been a fan of the Dove Real beauty campaign videos, but when I viewed the latest release today I cried.



Near the end when the woman observes how her negative perception made her seem closed off, I winced with the truth of that statement. When wrapped up in our own insecurities we become too focused on ourselves to be open to the people and the world around us.

I continued to nod in agreement with her point regarding the impact our perception of ourselves has on our choices, our families and others around us. My heart was challenged to take that thought and expand it to more than just personal appearance--but life in general. If I view life as a gift to be savored rather than a project to be constantly evaluating and improving, I find myself buoyant with gratefulness rather than stuck in a funk.

We strive to grow, learn and blossom...but life will never be perfect on this side of Heaven.

"...women...spend a lot of time analyzing and trying to fix the things that aren't quite right and we should spend more time appreciating the things we do like."

It is, afterall, a choice. So, today, let's choose joy. Let's pause to observe the things about our husbands, children, station in life that are beautiful rather than perseverating on the parts of our life that are not.

In being grateful rather than critical, I bet we will find there is a lot we have forgotten in the fog on our overanalaysis.

You AND your life are more beautiful than you think.

1 comment:

Christy Murphy said...

I cried too! I'm going to make a better effort to focus on the amazing blessings and joys in my life (I have so many!), instead of the extra weight I'm carrying around and the dreaded swimsuit season. Thanks for sharing.