Friday, October 19, 2012

Simply Happy


Since having children, people have warned me over and over to 'savor the moments' and I indeed try. On the eve of my wedding, a friend gave me a sage piece of advice: every now and then stop, take deep breaths and intentionally try to take snapshots with your heart.

As much as I love photographs, this practice has taught me there is much that a photo can't convey. I think this is where writing has become such an outlet for me: the 1-2-3 combo of heart snapshots, photos and the written word are the closest I can get to freezing time.

So today as we enjoyed a glorious day out of school, I started thinking about the elements of our afternoon outdoors that my iphone camera couldn't capture.

The sound of the Fall breeze and the warmth of sunshine on my skin.
The flurry of colorful, brittle leaves swirling around us against the backdrop of the bright clear blue sky.
My children's sweet 8 year old voices and giggles as they excitedly worked together on the playground.
The hilarious and simultaneously serious and articulate thoughts that come pouring out of their mouths.
How my heart felt as it lapped it all up.
There was nothing 'special' about today, except most everything was...

Life can be overwhelmingly complex and heavy sometimes...but it can also be simply breathtaking.

Today I am grateful for a love-filled sabbath day for my soul.

1 comment:

Keri said...

I love this post. And I love days like this in my own life. I'm so glad that you got to enjoy such a day today.

Is it just me, or is K looking more and more like you...? :-)