Thursday, March 29, 2012

Thanksgiving in March

This morning as I went over the 'boring' list of housework on my agenda, I was reminded of Guatemala.

As I lament the dishes I need to wash and put away, I am grateful that my work is aided by a dishwasher with running water and electricity. I am thankful for the simple fact that I have cabinets to put my dishes in once they are clean. (I feel certain that's the first time I have paused to be thankful for kitchen cabinets.)

I think about the beds that need their sheets changed and am immediately reminded that I have sheets where my friends in Chitpey have only itchy blankets. I am grateful for the mattresses those sheets cover, remembering the hundreds I met who wake up each morning on wooden boards.

There are several loads of laundry that need to be put away. (Am I the only one whose dirty laundry doubles in the Spring thanks to sports and outdoor play?) I am challenged to remember that all that laundry signifies children healthy and strong enough to run and play. Even more simply, it was washed in an electric machine. We have clothing and shoes.

A trip to the grocery store this afternoon signifies that my husband and children don't have to worry about hungry bellies. I can fill my pantry with food I can afford to purchase (and did not have to work to grow). I have a refrigerator. By the grace of God, I am able to provide the nutrients my children need to grow.

My calendar says March, but this morning I feel like celebrating Thanksgiving. It is good to pause, pray and regain healthy perspective.

The daily monotony of housework is a reminder that I have a HOME and people God has entrusted to my care. I pray this thought will fill my heart with purpose and joy this morning. Now off the computer and on to tackle it!

No comments: