Thursday, February 09, 2012

10 Years

Once upon a time there was a young man and a young woman who had bright hopes and big dreams for the future--and they committed to take it on together.
On a bright, unseasonably warm early February afternoon, they gathered with about 200 of their dearest friends and family members at the First Presbyterian Church of Atlanta. They made promises that they didn't fully understand the implications of...to love, to persevere, to be committed come what may.

They didn't know that "for better or for worse" would mean 3 moves, 2 mortgages, infertility, deaths of loved ones, long distance separation through 2 months of hospitalization, triplets, near death for one spouse and medical scares for children...just as the major headlines.

They assumed this process of two becoming one would require some adjustments. They failed to account for the tearful conversations that would have to happen along the way about things like how to make each other feel loved, how to manage money and the importance of kindness even when severely sleep deprived.

The dragons to be slayed in this fairy tale were those of selfishness, ego and unrealistic expectations.

She didn't realize that her vows to love meant learning that eye rolling, sighing and sarcasm do not generally communicate love very well--and that learning what to hold back would be one of the most important things she could give.

He didn't realize that taking out the garbage, bathing the children or helping wash the dishes would be such powerful ways to communicate love to her.

Neither of them could fathom that 10 years later it would feel even more intimate to say "I love you" because of the depth and the breadth of that history.

They didn't know details...but that was part of the adventure they were embarking on. What an amazing first decade it has been!

A few nights ago my husband and I were having a conversation about how very blessed we are in this season of life. It is a bit unsettling really-- how happy we are, how much we love each other, that our children are healthy.

I looked him right in the eyes and admitted what scares me to the bone, "You know it won't always be this good. Life will bring us heartbreak on this Earth."
"I know," he replied.
"But we will take what comes together, right?"
"Absolutely," he assured me, "no matter what."

There was no formal renewal of vows, just a reaffirmation of what we committed 3,650 days ago.
Two became one, come what may. The security of that covenant is a precious and beautiful gift. We know no more about what the next 10 years hold than we did about these...but we love and know the One who does. That is enough.

To God be the glory!

22 comments:

Jenny said...

This post gave me chills! Congratulations on TEN wonderful years! May the Lord continue to shine upon you and bless you with many many many more!!!

Perri said...

Congratulations and happy anniversary to one couple who seems to have gotten it right.

May God grant you many more years to lead us all by example.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post. I hope to find a Godly man who brings as much love to my life as you have found. You are blessed!!

tara b said...

This made me cry...so well written. Congratulations to you!!

Sara said...

Loved hearing this!! Congrats to your family!!

Melissa C. said...

So beautiful. Happy Anniversary!!

Jennifer said...

Happy Anniversary!

Kelly @ Love Well said...

This is so beautiful, J. And so true. If you push into Christ and persevere in marriage, it becomes the most breath-taking, holy, amazing gift.

My husband and I have been married (almost) 19 years. And we feel the same way. So blessed. Grateful for grace. Happy anniversary! And may God continue to be your light.

katie said...

happy anniversary!! the amount of LIFE ten years can hold is amazing! congrats to you two!

Lindsey said...

Happy Anniversary to you two!

keri said...

happy happy 10 years to you two!! i remember that day well. and i love how you verbalized the ups and downs of marriage (sounds like we have the same love languages!) :) love to you both.

linda said...

I love your blog and have never responded before today. you are such a lucky woman to have such beautiful family, a Faith in god, and your husband. Such a beautiful relationship you and your husband have between yourselves and the good lord himself. I envy you and wish I could have that for myself. I love my husband and god but I am not able to have the openness you are able to share. Keep on posting, I am learning.

dee said...

Happy anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Happy, Happy Anniversary! Oh my, what a BEAUTIFUL bride you are! I love your dress & veil & flowers! Such a GORGEOUS picture of you both. God will be so good, as He weaves you both together these next ten years, just as He did these last ten. Enjoy.

k and c's mom said...

The happiest of anniversaries to you both! Loved the picture; love your transparency through the years in your posts. You've blessed us all with your reflections and insights.

Pam said...

Happy Anniversary to you both! May the Lord continue to draw you together in order to glorify Himself.

Eunice T. said...

Happy Anniversary! May the Lord continue to bless you and your family richly. Your blog has been a great source of biblical knowledge, comfort and rebuke and I've learnt many lessons from you! :)

Erickson 5 said...

Love this post and Happy Anniversary! I feel the same way about life, I feel so incredibly blessed yet is scares the wits out of me! Thank you. This made my day.

Eleanor said...

Happy anniversary!! Such true and sweet words! Blessings for the next ten years!

Blair said...

What a wonderful post! Disney should take note and make this their next fairy tale!

Congratulations on 10 blessed years and cheers to many more decades together.

Denice said...

Happy Anniversary! May God bless you with many, many more years together!

Keri said...

A belated congratulations to you and your husband! I love the conversation you had about handling the future together -- what a wonderfully succinct way to reaffirm your commitment to each other!

My husband and I are right behind you all, as we will have been married for 10 years this coming Wednesday, the 15th. I love reaching this milestone!

On a different subject, I had yet another dream last night -- the fifth or sixth of its kind over the years I've been following your blog -- that I met you in person by running into you in some random grocery store or other public location. I live in Louisville, KY, so it's unlikely that this would ever happen, but I find it funny - my subconscious must agree with my "conscious" that you'd be a lovely person to meet, because it keeps coming up again and again! Let me know if you and your clan ever head up here for the Kentucky Derby, and maybe we can have coffee and literally make my dreams a reality! :-)