Monday, November 21, 2011

We're Gonna Be A Part Of It...

*photo courtesy a friend's visit from New York years ago :-)

We are off to take a bite out of the Big Apple and I am GIDDY with excitement.

My Mother-in-law and I started talking about this trip a few years ago...waiting until we felt like the children were old enough to handle the walking and the cab riding. This year seemed like the right time. (We will find out soon enough if we were right! :-)

It is quite the departure from our usual tradition of Thanksgiving at my house. I confess, I am a bit wistful about not cooking a turkey and preparing a big table for both sides of our family this year. Our hearts will still be grateful, they will just be in different surroundings.

I honestly can't remember the last time I have been this excited about a vacation. My in laws are accompanying us, as well as our Scott. It is sure to be a quick, whirlwind adventure! We have big plans...Mary Poppins, Lion King, Ground Zero, Lady Liberty, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, Central park, ice skating...and a few store fronts in between. I am planning to take good notes...I am just not sure if we are going to spring for the (rumored) $5/minute Internet in the hotel to blog while away. We'll see...

6 comments:

Bailey's Leaf said...

You will do just fine. We did NYC last year with one 8 year old and two 6 year olds, a marathon, American Girl, Central Park (several times), the Today Show, MOMA, Times Square, Mary Poppins (amazing!), Statue of Liberty (take the Nat'l Park free grounds guided tour), we were going to do the ice skating, but it would have been $50.00 and we skipped it. (My daughter is not an ice skating fan anyhow.) Have many snacks and you guys will be good. Some cab drivers will refuse to take you when they find that you have children. We ran into that with three kids, too. That will probably be your biggest challenge. Have a great time and take it all in. Ground Zero was just being built when we were there and there are in progress shots on the blog (Sept 11 11 post.)

Enjoy!

Marcia Kucaba said...

I am so jealous!! This is our year to go, but I'm on call Thanksgiving weekend. Have an amazing time!! I would go every year if we could-you're going to have a blast. If you want to go ice skating, check out Bryant Park-this is where we went with Bonnie/Bo a few years ago. Beautiful set up, much less expensive, longer skate time. Also Carmines (in the theater district) is a great family style Italian restaurant. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!

Jenn said...

Have a wonderful time!! What a precious picture of your babies. :)

Lindsey said...

Have so much fun! My cousin and aunt are in NY too. She's marching in the Macy's parade and getting to lots of other fun NY things as well. Hope y'all have a blast!

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful time in The BIG apple.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Christy Murphy said...

So excited for you! Have a wonderful time!