Thursday, November 24, 2011

NYC: Day 2 (A FULL Day!)

Yesterday was our first full day in the city. The weather was less than cooperative, raining off and on all day. But staying in the hotel all day didn't seem like an option, so we suited up in rain gear and made the best of it!

Our morning began with a brisk walk to the edge of Central Park for a delicious breakfast at Sarabeth's (a favorite of my friend Deanna). We were first in line for their 8am opening (an advantage of children who rise like clockwork between 6-6:30am). After breakfast we took a cab ride to pier 84 to board a water taxi down the Hudson River. (P journalling along the way. Makes this Mama's heart happy!)
I wasn't sure what to expect, but the combination of the airport-like security screening, the presence of my children and the large collection of photos documenting the world's response to the tragedy stirred my emotions. As we approached the memorial pools the scope and the depth of the tragedy--and the overwhelming number of lives lost felt very tangible. Being able to touch the names was a stark reminder that they were each really lives. One of the attendants at the memorial gave us scrolls and crayons for the children to make rubbings of a few names (including the lump-in-throat-producing "Deanna Lynn Galante and her unborn child"). It was a collision of my worlds---10 years apart.


One other striking part of the Memorial is the buzz of activity and rebuilding happening all around. It is a reminder of the redemptive nature of God. We mourn what was lost, even as we rebuild and move on. Poignant indeed.

We grabbed hotdogs from a street vendor before we reboarded the water taxi for a photo op with the Statue of Liberty. After our tour we saw the Lion King--which totally lived up to the hype. The performances, the music, the set design and costuming were all totally enthralling for all ages in our group.

Following the show, we journeyed back to Central Park (via the subway!) to see the annual balloon inflation in preparation for the parade. It was a sight to see--but VERY crowded. We capped off our evening with a yummy Mexican dinner and returned back to the hotel for rest. (R crashed at the restaurant!)


Along the way I heard from a dear friend from high school who happened to also be in town and only a couple of blocks away (sometimes 'checking in' on facebook pays off). It was an unexpected treat to get to spend some time catching up with her while my sweet husband stayed with our sleeping trio.

Whew! It was a long day--but no one seemed to mind--except maybe our tired feet!

3 comments:

dee said...

Sarabeth's is one of my favorites, too. Love it! Happy Thanksgiving! We are traveling this Thanksgiving also. We are in the Bahamas at the Atlantis Resort. I have seen a lot of children the age of yours here- loving the water fun!The weather is so gorgeous. I bet your trio loved the parade. Safe travels home.

Lindsey said...

My first Broadway play was The Lion King, too! I loved it and after seeing it 3 more times it is still one of my very favorites. Glad to hear your family had such a wonderful time. We spend Christmas in NY one year with my grandparents and while it was different than any other year, it was such a special time. I'm sure your kids will remember it forever just like I do. :)

Amanda said...

I recently visited the memorial too, and was able to take the most beautiful picture of Deanna and her child's name. I was just trying to capture the magnitude of the moment in the picture. It is amazing how people we don't know can touch our lives!! I googled her, and found your blog, and I was amazed!!!