Thursday, August 04, 2011

Memory Making in Progress

I read a post a couple of weeks ago by Jeff Goins called "Why I Believe in the Discipline of Travel." It prompted a lot of thought on my part about why I enjoy the hassle of it all--especially considering that virtually ALL my travel is with three little people.

The kids and I drove 7 hours yesterday to meet friends at the Gulf of Mexico. It was a last minute plan to savor the last little bit of Summer. We were sad to leave our Daddy/husband behind to work, though thrilled about the opportunity. Getting here was quite a trek and we arrived to find it extremely hot and humid and an influx of brown seaweed along the shoreline, making the pool far more inviting than the ocean. Did I mention that it is HOT???

Honestly, with children, any trip is far more about relo-cation than va-cation. Yet, some of my very favorite memories are from traveling.We don't have a 'place' we routinely return to with lots of personal memories. We tend to try new places instead. Regardless, I have decided that one of the great benefits of a change in scenery for me is the change in my perspective. I run a somewhat tight ship at home. For better or for worse, structure, order, rules and routine are a part of the Scott family experience. Traveling requires me to let go of some of my control issues. Scenarios that would never happen at home make for some of our best travel memories--and my children rejoice and the new experiences.

Whether it is 'wasting water' by playing in the shower after an intense soccer matchor capturing a sweet moment of sibling bonding (in a season were petty squabbles seem to be happening more frequently than tenderness).Watching them enjoy new freedoms...as simple as bottled Sprites and riding scooters to and fro blesses me. Specifically, today as they were rotating leadership on a long scooter ride to a neighboring village, I couldn't help but be taken aback by how much older they seem. It is as if I can see them growing up in very clear ways before my eyes. If I were more mature, perhaps a change in venue wouldn't be necessary for a fresh perspective.

Nevertheless, I am grateful for the reminders to pause and savor the beauty of children growing--in confidence, in maturity, in their scope of the world. This is their childhood. At the risk of being painfully cliche, these are the days...

I am grateful for the picture of how being stretched and getting outside our comfort zone is such an amazing catalyst for life changing growth...in 7 year olds AND in 37 year olds.

4 comments:

Love Being A Nonny said...

Precious post! Precious!

dee said...

They do seem older, even to this follower. The first picture of y'all is priceless, love it!

Maria(h) said...

Similar to what my husband says when we travel. It's good to get the kids out of the ordinary, to experience new things; sights and sounds. It's a great learning opportunity and yes you're right, for the moms and dads too! Sometimes it's hard to let go and just go. But it's usually a pleasant surprise when we do.

Jeff Goins said...

Love that you're traveling with your family -- I understand it's not an easy undertaking! Beautiful pictures!