Monday, August 08, 2011

Little Guy, Big Heart

I never understood the importance of organized sports until I mothered my R. I thought it was overkill to start so young. I didn't understand why people spent the time, money and energy on equipment, practices and games for little guys. Clearly, it was all for the parents' sake. And while I certainly think there is a place for moderation and perspective, my experience as a Mama has changed my opinion a bit.

My little R is a case study in why...He was made for this stuff. R is smart, confident, verbal, passionate, intense and competitive. He thrives on structure, teams, instruction and male influence.

As a not-particularly-sporty girl, who was raised with only one not-particularly-sporty sister, this is all new to me. But the start of each new sports season (whether it is baseball, football, soccer or whatever) sparks an energy in him that is hard to describe.
He loves the gear, the practice, the work, the sweat. My little guy is a jock.
And so, as his Mama, I can't help but get bit by his bug. His excitement and passion is contagious.

Even when it is 95 degrees at 5:30...and he has been doing hard drills...

He smiles.
I love this little handful!

2 comments:

Traci said...

I've been coaching kids for 19 years. It's a love language all it's own. Kids like this are greatly influenced by their coaches- strive to find him loving men- my experience has been that kids who love sports are much more heavily influenced by the expectations and teachings of their coaches then they are their peers- it can be a really good thing when they are older.

twiceasnice said...

he might have his father's name, but he is all you! minus the sports stuff! look at that face! so stinkin cute!