Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Day Two

Apparently my offspring think 1st grade really is a party.

I picked them up this afternoon--only two days in-- to discover that all 3 (that's right, 100%) of my children either got their name on the board or had their card changed today...for talking.

Genetics might be to blame. I spent at least two days a week in 2nd grade writing sentences during recess for talking incessantly. They are predisposed to flapping jaws and a lack of self control when it comes to communication.

Like their Mama, my trio just has a lot to say. But 1st grade has rules--and I am quite sure their teachers would get a lot more done if the children in their care would follow them. So tonight there is a whole lot of conversation in my home about self control.

R's response was classic. He listened intently, looked me squarely in the eyes and very seriously informed me, "Mom, it is just HARD to be quiet when I have things to say."

I tend to agree.

7 comments:

"The Mrs." said...

That's so cute!! Also so true ;)

k and c's mom said...

I totally agree! (And if talking is the worst they do? Be blessed!)

lydialou said...

Oh My Goodness! I can't believe that the teachers of your munchkins still put names on the board for talking or have children change their cards. I am a retired elementary principal and know that is one strategy that is totally ineffective in teaching self-control! We never used that kind of thing because it doesn't help youngsters. Although I do guess it makes some adults feel pretty powerful. I am sorry that this was a part of their first days of first grade. I pray the rest of the year is better for them-and for you.

Carol Vincent said...

As a teacher, I know that if I were to do that to any student in any grade, I would be reprimanded. Second day of school? Grade 1? Hmmm.

Jennifer said...

The children are loving 1st grade and weren't overly concerned. There were no consequences as a result of the card movement/name on boards, so I am thinking it is just to explain the system and get everyone back on board with classroom rules.

I have great/open communication with their teachers, so I am sure they will let me know if things get to be a real problem.

Would love your feedback on how to effectively explain the importance of hand raising, saving comments for when appropriate...especially from you seasoned teachers.

Jennifer said...

LydiaLou & Carol...OK, now I better understand your comments. I just went and googled a couple of articles about shame-based classroom discipline...I suppose I am so accustomed to the 'traditional' methods I hadn't ever considered alternatives.
I am curious about alternative ideas--I didn't understand the practical application of the 'reverse' rubrics' described in the articles I read. I tried to find blogs or emails for either of you and can't. If you have links would you mind emailing them to me at lotsofscotts@gmail.com? Thanks. This is an interesting subject.

Jill said...

I have to agree with R! My new kindergartener had a note in his backpack on day 2 outlining his "tough day" including not listening, not following directions and laying on the carpet after naps and MOCKING the teacher when she asked 8-10 times for him to get up. The look on his face was priceless when I read the note to him. He had no idea I would find out. Today was a much better day...or at least there were no notes!