Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Seasons

Next month marks 6 years that I have been practicing this almost daily discipline of blogging. It is funny for me to go back and look at how the blog has evolved and changed since I started irregularly posting random pictures for the benefit of family and friends (pre-facebook).

As my children have gotten older and our lives have gotten busier, I have found myself writing less about them and more about what I am learning about life and faith in general. I have mentioned before that I don't ever want to dishonor anyone (including my husband and children) by telling stories that aren't mine to tell.

In the last couple of weeks I have hit a dry spell when it comes to writing. I have been praying, asking God how He will have be proceed with this blog. I have never wanted it to make money or make me famous. I don't work to promote it. I have simply enjoyed it as a keepsake and an outlet for what I am learning and an opportunity to learn from others. It is the 'hobby' nature that has made this relaxing rather than taxing.

A funny thing has happened as I stopped spending as much time writing...I have instead spent that time reading...Piper, Smith, VosKamp, Stanley, Tripp. I have been learning some huge, challenging lessons. God has been exposing some dark corners of my heart that need His attention. It has been like I left a dry desert and entered a monsoon season of truth.

When the time is right, I hope to write about the things I am learning...but I will give you some headlines: pride, grace, relationships and the power of my tongue!

In the meantime, I am trying to enjoy Summer with my family and feel free of any pressure or expectation to post daily. I want to be intentional in my publishing...using this space to add encouragement, grace and truth to the world--not just being one more noisy voice in an already crowded Internet.

Basically, I am simply saying that I don't know what this season will look like or how long it will last. My posting may be sporadic. It may be much more link-y than usual...or it may be exactly the same. Just know that I am committed to being prayerful about it.

Stay tuned and we'll see. (And we'll see what happens with the blog formatting too. :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the new colors for summer!
Enjoy your summer with your children.
They grow so quickly!
I hope to see you post as much as you can.
I enjoy reading your blog!

Jeannie said...

JMom,
I totally understand you wanting to have flexibility in your writing this summer, but can I just say, I LOVE your blog. I comment very seldom but I read every single post and I get more out of your postings than any other blog I read, by far. I love the way you are transparent with us about life as a mom and wife and your walk with God. You challenge me to be a more thoughtful mom, wife, and believer. I guess I just want to take this opportunity to tell you, regardless of how you move forward with your blog posts, you have blessed me tremendously and I will so miss your daily perspectives. God has gifted you and I am so thankful somewhere along the way I stumbled onto your blog! I know you will obey His leadership in your life with regard to this blog, so I say "go girl, do whatever He leads." May He richly bless you and your sweet family!

annaelyse said...

your sweet words are always an encouragement to read! i just sent a friend your blog the other day because she was overwhelmed with comparison of how little she had it together when she read the blogs of some of the women in our city. i literally said "read this blog. it is humble. and inspiring. and REAL. never once does she pretend that she's got it together. (even though she's got far more grace that i usually do). read it. it won't cause you to compare, but it will encourage you and remind you of jesus". :)

enjoy your new rhythm. and your summer with your kiddos. excited what He's going to do in this season of abiding! :)

Pam said...

I know you don't need my 2 cents, but here they are: Do what comes naturally. I like what annaelyse said about enjoying your new rhythm. Never blog because you "have to". If it blesses and enriches your life, go with it. If it becomes something that interferes or rules you -- drop it and find another way to chronicle those memories. You can still journal privately without feeling the expectations of an audience awaiting the next "nugget" from your heart.

I love your writing, and I always benefit from what the Lord lays on your heart. If that stops in this forum, maybe we'll just have to meet for coffee/iced tea/diet coke and talk for real. : )

Praying for a summer filled of delight and joy spending time with those precious to your heart!

BTW, love the new template! So cheery and fresh.

Gloria said...

I have read your blog for the last 3 years and have enjoyed every minute of it. I look forward to your nightly posts, your love for the Lord and how you keep it real. I just read your post about from yesterday about the diagnosis of SPD. My 10 yr. old has this diagnosis also and there are days that I think that I can't do it anymore. How do you handle and get through the tough times of SPD?

Gloria