Monday, May 30, 2011

Erasing Hell

Recently someone brought this video to my attention--from a writer/speaker I really like, Francis Chan.

Beginning at 3:50, Francis Chan really brings it...


Wow. Lots to chew on here about how we try to understand God.

One of the reasons I have historically enjoyed working with teenagers in Bible Study settings is their boldness in asking questions and expressing their doubts. I have frequently noticed their tendency towards what I call a cafeteria approach to God.
I'll take a little of that attribute of God, a heap of that attribute and skip this or that.
I think it is important for us to remember that He IS God--unchanging. The great I AM.

I quoted the following from Francis Chan in the video embedded above...
"We begin an argument with: 'I wouldn't believe in a God who would...'
Who would what?
Do you ever consider the possibility that maybe the Creator's sense of justice is actually more developed than yours and that maybe His love and his mercy are perfect and you could be the one who is flawed.
When we make statements like: 'Well, God wouldn't do this, would He?' Do you understand that in that moment you are actually putting God's actions in submission to your reasoning. You are in essence saying: God wouldn't think that way or act that way because I wouldn't act that way or think that way."
Does it ever enter your mind that maybe He (God) knows something you don't?"
-Francis Chan

Wow.

Isaiah 55:8-9
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the LORD.
“As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts."

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

Loved this video and commentary! Great perspective to meditate upon today!