Thursday, April 14, 2011

My Little Man

My husband & I frequently tease that our R is a little 40 year old trapped in a 6 year old body. So much of his affect is like my adult husband it is almost comical.

He speaks like a little man and loves to be my go to guy when Daddy is working. Most hilarious is how he dresses himself. He prefers khakis when it comes to pants--and not just when he is wearing a uniform. R hasn't worn blue jeans in almost 2 years. He also tends to hike his pants up a tad too high resulting in his belt buckle frequently resting about an inch higher than his naval.

Much like a working man, R is a big fan of his leather driving moccasins. Last weekend he was fully dressed out in his baseball uniform--purple wicking socks and all--but instead of cleats, he was wearing dress shoes. What a perfect representation of our R!

I couldn't resist giggling this morning when R came downstairs ready for school. He was wearing his school uniform--polo shirt tucked into his tailored khaki shorts with a belt and tall (midcalf high) white socks with those slip on driving mocs. I suggested he might want to rethink the shoe/sock combo.

"How about your tennis shoes?" I offered.
"No, I am going to wear this," R insisted.
"That looks a little strange, buddy," I prompted.
"It's ok. No one will see 'em unda da table at school, Mom."
"But, what about the playground?" I countered.
"It's ok, no one will see them there either. I wun weal fast, Mama."

And that was that.I felt so convicted that the very peer pressure I was using to convince him to dress as I preferred, was the pressure I would be working to protect him from very soon.

And he did a good job of standing up to it. :-)

3 comments:

dee said...

He is definitely ahead of his time. My 16 and 18 year old boys wear that very thing!! Haha.... He is precious no matter what he wears and may be setting a trend among the younger crowd!

sherene said...

He is so cute, no matter what he wears.
Blessed his little heart:))

*Kelly* said...

Such a cute story about your son!!!

My son is a 9 year old trapped in a 3 year olds body....he is so nutty.