Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Graceful Parenting

I have always thoroughly enjoyed Vicki Courtney's posts on parenting and purity, but her post today has made my respect for her sky rocket.

I have followed her blog as two of her children have graduated, gone off to college and gotten engaged. She has been a woman a few stages ahead of me that I could watch from afar. From what I can tell, she did an admirable job instilling godly character in her children. It is easy to talk the talk when things seem to be going swimmingly, but when the going gets tough is when a person's true character is often revealed. Her post today about one of her sons' revealed sin and its consequences really moved me.

When my husband got home tonight, I read it aloud to him and his comment stopped me in my tracks. "You know," he said, "It is one thing to cheer like crazy for your child when they are winning. It is much more difficult to do when they have made major mistakes. What a gift that post will be to her son."

How incredibly true! As parents, we want to train our children up, teach them to have Biblically based guard rails and follow God with their whole heart. Ultimately, though, it is their journey.

I am so thankful for Vicki's honesty about this experience and her amazing example of grace-filled parenting!

7 comments:

3boymama said...

I had the same thoughts. Her post was so authentic and real, a true picture of what life really is like.

Kristi said...

I read it yesterday and was touched myself! Fact is, we all sin! Daily! And I'm hoping to handle future incidences with my child when her sin deals consequences with as much grace, forgiveness, and honesty as Vickie has! Most of the time, we need to embrace our children with a hug before we say anything, much less administer consequences as parents. I'm trying to focus on the heart change and not just behavior modification!

Anonymous said...

I got her virtue alert as well, and I was moved in the same way. It takes a lot of courage to be as upfront as that.....and it is refreshing as well as convicting. I like your husband's wise response as well.
Amy

Alex and Lyndsey said...

Loved her post and yours too. Agree!

kristen said...

I completely agree.

Lisa said...

My thoughts precisely! I've looked to Vicki for Godly "mentoring" and advice for almost 11 years now and I have to say that her post moved me beyond words. God is using this time in her ministry already.

Jill said...

Your husband is so right. When I read Vicki's post last night my heart hurt for her family, but more than anything I was so thrilled with how wonderfully she expressed grace for her son and his wife to be. What a vision of God's grace to us.