Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Play without 'things'

Once upon a time I pitied impoverished children shown playing on dirty lots with only handmade toys.

Then I took my children to a place free of televisions, computers, iphones, Nintendos, action figures and plastic toys of any sort.

All we packed were books, playing cards, pens and notebooks.

The children were left to their own devices--their imaginations and their sense of adventure to create things to do.
They explored and played make believe games for hours on end.
They discovered amazing critters and created a small village habitat for crickets, grubs and ants they coerced with small pieces of cookie leftover from snack time.

They collected scraps of wood from a group building fences and and used it to build ships.

Each time I caught a glimpse of these dirty, sweaty, happy boys, all I could think of was John Eldredge's book Wild At Heart.
The words "I'm bored" or "What can I do now" were not uttered a single time.

And we didn't even play cards until the very last day.
After a long, chilly Winter full of inside play, it was a wonderful kickoff to Spring to see them reminded of how much more fun creative outdoor play can be!

It was also a reminder to me of how easy it can be to 'feel sorry' for people who have less, when what they often possess is freedom from the extraneous things that distract us from what matters most.

2 comments:

Angie said...

I totally agree. After having lived in Africa for several years, I see kids with nothing - playing and laughing and enjoying laugh. Yes, they suffer when it's too hot to sleep at night or when they get malaria. But for the most part they are oblivious to what they don't have. And they make the most amazing toys from wire, wood, sticks and other things we would consider junk. I think taking your kids to a third world country is one of the greatest gifts you can give them, besides introducing them to Jesus. I wish all American children/teens could have that experience.

I really, really enjoy your blog. Keep up the good work! :-)

Angie said...

P.S. I meant to say "enjoying life"....... :-)