Thursday, February 10, 2011

Attitudes

Today was a much better day. I did decide after watching my children (and prayerfully examining my own heart) that attitude really makes all the difference. The child of mine who is skiing like a champ (riding quad lifts on day two and skiing a long blue/green run at the end of the day) is the one with the best attitude--joyful, agreeable, open. The primary challenge we are facing is not the slopes, the weather or the gear...but our attitudes about it all.

Don't misunderstand me. Some circumstances are just plain challenging. But the difference in addressing a challenge with a positive attitude versus accepting defeat before you begin is staggering. I purposefully stole a few moments of quiet today for the express purpose of praying and surrendering my attitude. God was faithful to deliver.

Now I just have to figure out how to not only remember this lesson myself, but teach it to 6 year olds.

"This may shock you, but I believe the single most significant decision I can make on a day-do-day basis is my choice of attitude. … Attitude...keeps me going or cripples my progress. … When my attitudes are right, there’s no barrier too high, no valley too deep, no dream too extreme, no challenge too great for me."
-Chuck Swindoll

4 comments:

Laura said...

My 3 1/2 year old tells me that she wants me to help her be happy when she is upset. I have told her that I can't help her be happy, but that he has to choose. We've prayed about it, too. She continues to say that she needs me to help her be happy though. Any tips on how to respond to that?

"The Mrs." said...

Attitudes have a lot to do with situations, I agree. I have to tell myself a lot to step back and examine mine. It helps though! ;) (so jealous you'll are on the slopes. I LOVE SKIING!)

Unknown said...

I so agree! When I left for college years ago, my mother gave me a card that read "Always remember that you rarely get to choose the circumstances you happen upon, but only you can choose your disposition. Pray that God helps you to face any circumstance with a cheerful disposition." You would be surprised how many times I have found myself struggling with my "disposition" and recalled those words.

Jenny said...

My sweet mom always said, "The one thing you can always change about yourself is your attitude." Those words have stuck with me!
You are such a precious example to me and I look forward to reading your posts!