Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Being 'Wacky'

I knew it was going to happen one day. I never really thought through how it would come about. It seems the time has arrived without much fanfare, yet it feels significant enough that I should at least note it.

The children have started dressing differently.

I have heard stories from other Moms of how assertive their children have been (at very young ages) about their attire. My three have honestly never really cared. R is funny about shoes--I am currently trying to convince him that suede Merrill knock-offs are not appropriate with shorts--but otherwise, they have willingly worn the clothing I select for them, choosing to assert their independence in other ways.

It started with pajamas several months ago. (Yes, even those once coordinated.) K, predictably, was the first to start choosing non-coordinating clothes for daily wear. Since school is her opportunity to be with girls, she has become far more interested in dresses and 'girl colors.' The boys have continued to dress alike.

Non-multiple Mamas sometimes have a hard time understanding the motive behind dressing the children similarly...it is absolutely not an attempt to rob their individuality. It is more of a 'team uniform' that helps me track them in public...and, frankly, I think it is cute.:-) In my crazy world of chaos, it also helps me feel a bit more organized and together. I am fighting hard to not twitch at the sight of them in different outfits.

Anyway, last week R decided he did not want to wear what I picked out. Since there truly are much more important things for me to put my foot down about, I agreed to let him pick something on his own. There has been no turning back since. P has tried to dress like R a couple of times, but R will not allow it. The closest they have come is wearing different colors of the same type shirt a couple of times. It is still too early to tell if this is just a phase, or if it will stick...but I am trying to prepare myself for its likely permanence.

The children have deemed it 'being wacky.' I find this comical because when they choose to play musical car seats and sit it in their non-standard places in the car it is called 'being silly.' We are clearly living on the edge in the Scott house!

It appears my trio is really learning to sing solos in this great big world. I know it is healthy. I refuse to allow my emotional needs to stunt their growth...but it twinges my heart just a little.

It was so much fun while it lasted.

15 comments:

Julie said...

My twin boys stopped dressing alike at about age 4. I still by 2 of the same thing sometimes in hopes that they will wear it at the same time. And you know, sometimes when they aren't paying attention to what the other is wearing, they will choose to wear the same thing.
I love them dressing alike, but I love that one likes the color orange, and one loves shirts that have balls on them. It makes it easy to buy for and it is also a little cheaper because I don't by 2of everything, and the boys swap clothes!

Sara said...

My brothers are twins (29 years old). It was just a few years ago when they said "You know, you don't have to keep buying us the same thing for our birthdays, Christmas etc." My sister and I regularly bought them the same sweater in different colors or patterns or whatever. I guess we thought it was cute. They were over it.

Love Being A Nonny said...

It, along with other things, is a sign of growing up...and that's so hard. I too think it is just so cute!! Let's secretly hope it is a *phase*.:)

Marva said...

Too funny! I do the same thing with my 3 year old twin boys. They are still at the stage where they cry to dress alike and I like for them too.....imagine that?!

I know the day is coming, so I will have my fun now! LOL!

It just shows how independent they are becoming, kind of sad......I dread the day. I want them to be the best of who they are and thrive and be"normal" but it's sad.

Blessings!

Tara said...

I love dressing my girls the same and they are 2 years apart. It is so cute to see kids dressed alike or coordinating. They are 7 and almost 5 and still like it usually.

But I don't do it everyday. They pick out clothes for school or around the house.

If we are going somewhere I try to keep them alike. While it's cute, it definitely makes it easier to remember what your kids are wearing when in public if they both are the same.

Melissa said...

It IS cute and I hope it is just a phase! Although my girls aren't multiples (2 years apart), I still like to dress them alike. My 4yo has decided it is embarrassing for her to be dressed like her little sister, much to my chagrin! :(

KirkKrew said...

I understand dressing my kids alike!

I too am like Tara and Melissa and love to dress my girls alike even though they're 2 1/2 years apart. They've never complained and it sure makes life easy. Today they dressed in coordinating shirts and my oldest was so disappointed that she wasn't matching Little Sis.

The day they change their minds, I think I'll be so disappointed.

anna said...

i know what you mean when you say "I am fighting hard to not twitch at the sight of them in different outfits."!! i have eleven month old twin boys, and i can't stand for them to be dressed differently!! yes, like you, their pajamas even match. i just think it is so cute to see them alike, and they are identical, they should be dressed identically too!!

The McBrayer family said...

I can totally understand! I love to dress my girls alike- 6 and 3. They almost always match or coordinate, unless it's just play clothes in the backyard or something. You are right- it is just SO much fun, cute and easy in crowded places. Glad you had a good run! Love reading your blog by the way- take care.
Kelli McBrayer (Yancey)

Cathy said...

You tell great stories about your kids. I guess this is the new chapter...and so it begins...

Bailey's Leaf said...

Showing their personalities! It's a good thing!

dee said...

I dressed my three non-multiples alike for YEARS! They are teenagers and older now and love to give me a hard time about how long I dressed them alike! Almost all pictures of them as younger children have them dressed alike. It was sooo fun!

k and c's mom said...

Ahhhhh. You are so right to stop and reflect on this small moment. Thanks for reminding us to do the same.

Leslie Ruth Petree said...

"I refuse to allow my emotional needs to stunt their growth..."

What wisdom! I'm tucking that nugget away for when I have little ones of my own someday. Thanks, as always, for sharing your heart!

Amanda said...

I am a twin to a sister. We dresses alike a lot growing up...even when we were in school. I can vividly remember when my sister would no longer let us dress alike in the day-to-day of life. Only for special events and holidays were we ever matchy-matchy. I was bummed, but it was good for us to start that process in Elementary school, rather than High School.
I am 29 yrs old, and I still want for us to dress similarly for family pictures (we had the same style shirts and scarves - why not?)...and she refuses! ha!