Sunday, December 07, 2008

My Week

This has been the busiest week of the year! I have not had much to post, because it would largely be reporting the facts, but for posterity, here's what we have been up to this week.

Monday night my husband had an event for one of the hospitals where he operates. Mercifully, I did not have to attend, so I was able to spend the evening with the children. We baked cookies and decorated our trees. It was a great afternoon/evening of celebrating the season quietly as a family--the calm before the storm...

Tuesday night we had the Christmas parade. It was freezing, but the children had a blast.I love the plethra of (mostly free) community events that have become traditions in our small town!

Wednesday night the children sang in a program at church. After their performance, the adults prayed through an outline of the symbolism of the 12 Days of Christmas. It was a terrific exercise. One of the points Bill made about Day 3 really stuck a chord with me. He talked about how faith, hope and love are basically the three key elements of the Christian faith. Yet, they are the three things that hang us up again and again. How true!

I think this is why we so often cling to a more legalistic lifestyle and worldview. It is easier to keep those laws than it is to have deep true faith despite our circumstances, hope and a real true love for our neighbors. An interesting point to ponder...

Thursday night was the Young Life leader/committee party. What a side-splitting, uplifting time. I am so inspired by our college leaders who devote several hours each week loving high school kids. These are terrific, smart, funny, well-rounded, mostly employed 18-20 year olds...and they are committed to serving others with their lives.

Friday I accompanied the children on a field trip then headed 65 miles away to a fundraiser for our children's home. (It was a terrific success, raising over $20,000!) It was a late night, but totally worth it! Each time I have to opportunity to talk about the home in front of a group of people I am reminded again how blessed we are and the importance of communities working together to serve 'the least of these.' We currently have 39 children we are parenting--and the economic challenges many are facing combined with the stress of the holidays will likely lead to an increase in those numbers.

Yesterday, Mom and Dad came for a morning visit, allowing for lots of hands to work on our gingerbread house. (Why do I always forget what a mess those are?) There was a fire crackling as I addressed Christmas cards. Daddy hung our wreaths on the front windows. And we watched a great football game with a disappointing outcome. (Roll Tide!)

Last night was another work-related Christmas party. This morning we are off to our church's Christmas Canticle program and one last children's home fundraiser this afternoon.

Tomorrow night we are hosting my husband's office party in our home--then I am going to prop up my feet and REST! (Maybe.)

4 comments:

Christi said...

Yep, it's that time of year isn't it? Our week has been similarly busy, but it should slow down a little bit now.

Amy Beth @ Ministry So Fabulous! said...

What a busy -- but fun! -- week you all have had! I can't imagine how much fun Christmas is with three little ones in tow. :)

Marianna said...

Wow, you have been busy! Congrats on the fabulous fundraising efforts! Glad you got to skip the hospital party. I've had to endure a few of those and they generally aren't mch fun!

Marianna

Dena said...

I am exhausted just reading about your week!