Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Joy Joy Joy

Last night the Sweeneys came over to have my husband take a second look at a report they had received from his scans. My hubby concurred with the radiologist from Emory...and today two other radiologists came to the same conclusion: the brutal IL-2 treatment Sweeney has been undergoing for his Stage IV Metastatic Melanoma is working.
The odds of his particular type of cancer responding to treatment was less than 10%. Yet, in his case, it is really working. As my husband often says: It is not the numbers that matter, but what side of them you are on. His primary mass has been reduced by 30% and the 7cm mass that was on his small bowel a month ago is NO LONGER visible. This is God's hand at work! This is a joyful reminder that God is still in the miracle business.

And this Mama--who was so worried about having to 'answer for God' if He chose not to save our family's friend-- got to sit in our family room last night and tell my children that God had heard our prayers and was healing Sweeney's body.

The heaviness and worry that consumed us when we first learned of our friend's illness has been replaced by joyful, light-hearted laughter. Psalm 126 makes sense to me all over again:
" It seemed like a dream, too good to be true, when God returned Zion's exiles.
We laughed, we sang, we couldn't believe our good fortune.
We were the talk of the nations— "God was wonderful to them!"
God was wonderful to us; we are one happy people.
And now, God, do it again— bring rains to our drought-stricken lives
So those who planted their crops in despair will shout hurrahs at the harvest,
So those who went off with heavy hearts will come home laughing, with armloads of blessing"
Psalm 126 (The Message)


Sweeney returns to Emory Monday for another difficult round of treatment--but with the reassurance that it is paying off.

As I pondered all of this today, it occurred to me that I wanted JOY to settle in and take residence in my life the way sorrow, worry and concern had a few months ago. I want my waking and final thoughts to be those of joy. And when I wake in the middle of the night, why is it always by concerns rather than joy?

Christmas seems to be the most appropriate time of the year to learn this lesson. God was truly Emmanuel to our friends as we have walked through this dark time. His presence has been felt. He has been our source of strength, help and comfort...and now, to HIM be the glory.

As we walk through these next couple of days may we center our thoughts on the miracles of our lives. There are so many circumstances we all are experiencing that bring worry, sorrow and pain. But, let's reframe our perspective--if even for the next 48 hours and choose joy.

We serve a risen Savior who humbled Himself to come into our world as a helpless baby, born to young, unimportant, frightened, challenged people in a stable. His love for us is a miracle.

Joy to the world, the Lord is come!
Let earth receive her King;
Let every heart prepare Him room,
And heaven and nature sing.
Joy to the World, the Savior reigns!

May we allow joy to trump sorrow in our lives!

14 comments:

Bill and Jenn said...

I don't even know Sweeney, but I am rejoicing with you!! Merry Christmas!!

Lyndy said...

Praise God. What a wonderful Christmas present for all of you.

As a Melanoma survivor myself, I am also thrilled to hear of other survivors. My doctor’s were at Emory too and they have always been great.

Merry Christmas to your sweet family.

Blessings, Lyndy

Perri said...

What a great Christmas miracle! Still praying for a full recovery.

Kate Geisen said...

What wonderful news!

As we watch 17 different versions of A Christmas Carol, I am struck over and over again by the messages in the movie, one of these being the Cratchett family's joy and love for each other in the midst of a very difficult life. I am so much more conscious of my responses to the events in my life and am trying to respond with thankfulness even in the trials (small though most are right now in my life). I pray that at some point my first instinct is to just rest in God's peace.

Cheri (aka "The Mom Lady") said...

We too received news TODAY that a dear brother in Christ, diagnosed with colon cancer in the fall was completely cancer free following treatments and surgery. He'd "beat" leukemia over 15 years ago and to have a "visitation" of cancer, another form, so many years later seems so unfair and cruel. But prayers have been going up "en masse" for months and we rejoiced with them today when the pathology came back so totally positive!

Marianna said...

What blessed news. Like the first poster said I don't even know him, but I'm thrilled to hear that his treatment is working.

Stephanie said...

Praising God with you. :) Merry Christmas!

Robin said...

God is so AWESOME! My mother and brother are both cancer survivors. We have seen time and time again God come on the scene and display His awesomeness. What a wonderful gift for the season...
-R

Mindy said...

Giving thanks to the Lord for your friends good report!

And for the rest of your post - Amen and Merry Christmas to you and your family!
in HIM -
Mindy

Carolina Mama said...

Praise the Lord - a Christmas Miracle.

Jenna said...

So amazing!!

chick-n-man said...

I am sooo happy for the Sweeneys. Your post made me think of how often I do wake up thinking/worrying. I was reminded tonight at church about how many times in the Christmas story folks are told to not be afraid. Emmanuel. God is with us always.

dee said...

What a picture of JOY! Praising God with you for Sweeney's report!!

Sunny Day Tag Girl said...

I commented about a dear friend of mine when you first posted about Sweeney. She had made it 6 months cancer free. A couple weeks later she found out that the PET scan had detected some abnormalities in her brain and then they found tumors. The original reports said there was one the size of a golf ball and that it would have to be surgically removed. She met with the neurosurgeon and MIRACULOUSLY there were not ANY tumors that large and she would NOT need brain surgery. I truly believe God removed that large tumor!!! She is now on steroids to shrink the remaining smaller tumors, has had a gamma knife treatment and is going through chemo...Through this all she has the BEST attitude and is so hopeful. Her motto is " God is Good" and He is just that. Praising God for Sweeney's news!!!