Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Checking In (with a list!)

It goes without saying that my brain is Disney-fried after two VERY full days. We are having a great time and I am overflowing with observations. Some might be helpful, some entertaining and all are guaranteed to be random.

• A few things we have done well (for those of you planning future trips):
o Getting help planning our trip. I know some people love the planning, but as first timers I have enjoyed getting to experience some of the wonder with the kids without the stress of wondering if I should have done something differently. My daily life as a Mother is full of enough second guessing as it is. ☺
o Bringing our own water (.15 each vs. $2 each in the parks) and snacks. Additionally, I was able to find the neon glow bracelets and necklaces at the dollar store and bring those for nighttime activities. This also saved us a bundle AND the children love them!
o Packing each child’s daily clothing in clear Ziploc bags with their name and the day of the week. This tip came from a friend and it makes getting dressed in the morning immensely easier! I also included a Disney themed treat from the dollar store in each day’s bag. So far, this has totally eliminated their hunger for expensive park toys and goodies!
o Bringing bandanas to tie on our rental strollers each day. In a sea of parked strollers that all look the same, we are able to spot ours quickly.

• A few things we did not do well so far:
o I spent the first day and a half squinting because I was unable to locate my sunglasses. They were in the outside pocket of my bag the entire time.
o I failed to make a backpack contents list ahead of time. I have a large plastic tub with all my essentials like bandages, bug spray, sunscreen, ponchos, etc…Unfortunately, the first day I realized several of these things did not make it into our backpack.
o I did not pack enough clothing. I had no idea how hot, sweaty and filthy we would get each day. I only brought 2 extra outfits for each of us. We have already gone through those!
o I did not study my Disney characters—I had no idea who Aurora was…I am still not certain…Sleeping Beauty?

• We spent Monday at the Magic Kingdom. This morning we started at the Magic Kingdom again for breakfast with Cinderella and friends then moved on to the Animal Kingdom for the remainder of the day. Tomorrow we venture to Hollywood Studios.
The top three fan favorites so far are:
o The Astro Orbiters (which the males in my family rode 9 times in a row this morning while K and I were at the salon!)
o Buzz Lightyear for R, specifically. P is terrified of this ride because of the bad guy and screamed the entire way through. R adores it because he can shoot things and has ridden it four times. A perfect illustration of the contrast of their personalities.
o K & P LOVE Goofy’s Barnstormer Roller Coaster. They have ridden it four times together. Only two people are allowed per seat, so each time I have had to put them together and ride in the car directly behind them. They are only tall enough to ride by an inch—so it makes me a nervous wreck! The last time we rode, R sat with me and Daddy sat in the very front so he could take pictures of their faces. The pictures (which I’ll post when I get back home) are hysterical. Almost as entertaining was watching my husband’s face as he rode the roller coaster backwards in order to capture the shots!

• This morning at the princess breakfast at Cinderella’s castle R threw a royal fit. He was actually laying on the ground screaming in front of a crowd of about a hundred people. Despite our attempts to ignore him it went on a for a few minutes—all the way up the red royal staircase to be exact. Apparently, he did not want pictures of himself dressed in a knight’s costume hugging a Disney princess to come back to haunt him. (I am kidding, that was not the source of his fit.) P didn’t seem to mind, so the fit will live in infamy as people ask why R wasn’t in the picture with K, P & Cindy.

• One of our best memories so far was the phone call we received on the way to Orlando from a sweet friend. She called as Cinderella to speak with each of the children. R, unimpressed with princesses (see above) wanted someone a little manlier. My friend snagged her kind husband who agreed to serve as the very manly Buzz Lightyear. It made R’s trip. When he saw the Buzz character Monday, he went bonkers and said, “Remember when he called me?”

• This evening I threw on a t-shirt and a towel as I left my husband at the pool with the children and trekked across the resort to get dinner. As I was walked back with a tray full of food and a towel strategically wrapped around my swimsuit clad waist, I thought about how I was going to handle a towel slippage. Would I just keep walking as if nothing happened and pretend I was not the modest soul that I am? Where would I put the tray? Would people be watching? Ahhh! Just then I spotted a table and decided to bee-line in that direction for some preventative tightening of the apparel…as I walked, it happened. Mercifully, I was only a couple of steps away from my destination! My only comforting thought was, “Well, at least it would make for a funny post!”

I have had a couple of spiritual observations. It has been fun for me to really search for God here...amidst so much fantasy. One experience that really impacted me was this evening as we spent some time winding down at the pool.

We are at the Grand Flordian, where the top of the waterslide is not visible from the bottom and vice versa. K & R really wanted to do it, but the water is a little too deep for them at the bottom and they are not quite strong enough swimmers to manage it alone. Since only one person can go down at the time, Daddy positioned himself at the bottom. There were lots of other people enjoying the slide, so K would scream 'Daddy? Daddy! Daddy?" as she neared the bottom so he would know to step in front of the slide and catch her. I started to wonder how she knew when the bottom was coming. Had she memorized the turns after only a couple of times down? I walked up onto a platform to watch her slide and realized the truth of what was happening. She didn't know where the bottom was. Each time she would get on she would start calling for her Daddy and she would shout for him all the way down. She didn't need him to shout back. She did not know when the end was coming...but she knew he's be waiting there, so she was able to slide again and again without fear. The faith of a child a a beautiful thing!

I hear lots of snoring in the beds behind me. I think I am going to sign off to join them.

20 comments:

Mom of Eleven said...

Thanks for sharing. I have been thinking of your exciting trip. It sounds like you are enjoying it and like all of us, must figure out what works and doesn't work for your family.

I find myself, yes, you know me, in competitive mode while I am there, and I have to remind myself, "Stop, enjoy this, this moment is for the kids."

Enjoy!

R said...

you're right! aurora is sleeping beauty. but when she's taken and hidden away in the forest as she grows up, her name is briar rose. :0)

(can you tell this movie is my favorite disney flick?)

thank you for these tips and observations...i'll definitely keep them in mind for our trips!

Kim said...

Sounds like a blast!

http://ispeakbeanish.wordpress.com

Amy said...

We were at Hollywood Studios on Monday and I thought of your family at Magic Kingdom. I hope the kids have been loving it! There are so many fun things to do tomorrow - and I'm sure your planner has it all ready for you. Just don't miss the Beauty and the Beast show - it's probably the best show in all four of the parks. They'll also love the Playhouse Disney show if they watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Little Einsteins, etc.
I can't wait to see pictures of your trip!

Kim said...

Sounds like a great family time! Great tips too!!! Love the idea of packing children's outfits in ziploc bags and labeling them. Have a great rest of the trip!

Courtney said...

love all of the fun information as we are planning a trip in 2011. i can't wait already. sounds like things are going well (minus one little fit) :)

loved the story at the end! what a sweet sweet story!

Dee said...

I don't know if you will see this in time,but I'm sure there is a laundry room if you get desperate. We stay at the Contemporary and they have one, so I would think Grand Floridian would too. Can't wait to see pics!

Brandy Thixton said...

The slide analogy has me in tears today. Thanks so much!

Glad to hear you and the little ones are having a great time! Have you seen the Parade of Lights? It's my favorite!

Cheri (aka "The Mom Lady") said...

Disney trips are like Christmas morning - you are excited, they are excited, and everyone has a different expectation of what will happen/what will be received/how people will react/etc. If ever there is a time for the occasional melt-down, Disney is it. The crowds, the excitement, the sensory overload, the fatigue - they all get us at least once or twice on our "trip of a lifetime". It's happened to us as well. And for those of us who habitually go (every other year at least for the past, oh, 27 years??) such episodes become part of the "folklore" of the trips.

When one of our sons was 15 years old and we were getting ready to go to (what was then) MGM Studios, he picked a fight and would not let it go while we were in the hotel. He was "grounded" that day and couldn't go to the parks till we called him (about 5 hours later). It was miserable at the time but you know, we talk about that all the time now and he laughs sheepishly about it - it was just one of his "need to grow up" moments.

I was pleased to hear about your quest for modesty. If I had ONE major complaint about Disney World, it has nothing to do with the parks and everything to do with the attendees and their various states of undress. I told my husband we've seen more boobs in WDW than just about anywhere. We do laugh though at the girls who insist on wearing shorts and t-shirts and THEN have on their stiletto heels. We wonder how those feet feel at the end of the day!

My husband, by the way, LOVES the Buzz Lightyear ride ever since it came out in the late 90's. He now averages a score of 350,000! I can never beat that but it's fun trying! And seeing the joy on his face when he rides that ride is priceless - he's 53!

We stayed at the Saratoga Springs Resort - with our brood of 13 we needed the Grand Villa. Thank goodness for DVC membership or we couldn't have a afforded 8 days in that place! Grand Floridian is gorgeous - but we HAVE to have a washer/dryer to make it through a trip to Disney! So the Villas it is for us...

Thanks for giving us updates on your trip. Really makes me want to go back but we won't be returning till Jan 2010 and hope to do the cruise then as well. Sigh...I'll "live vicariously" through YOUR trip! (and we just went last January...I should be satisfied...)

Cheri (aka "The Mom Lady") said...

Oh, and yes, every resort has a laundry room - take your quarters! If you drive over to the Yacht Club or Beach Club, they have larger laundry facilities and, since a lot of guests are in villas with washers and dryers already, they aren't as busy as the typical hotel resort with regular rooms.

Worth a try!

Emmy said...

Oh YEAH! I loved hearing ALL about it! Thank you for sharing! : )

Paulette said...

Aurora is sleeping beauty! My daughter was so much like your k. I still have all the costumes, all the movies of childhood, ahem..
Your post was awesome!! My very favorite part was the last paragraph, the security of that baby knowing her daddy is waiting for her... may she always have that kind of faith in knowing her daddy will always be there.

keri said...

so fun to hear all of this...especially after we just did it all! i should have warned you about how hot and sweaty everyone gets...by the end of the day, i just felt nasty!

i love that your friend called as cinderella! how cute!!

by the end of our week...although so much fun, i was done with disney for a while! i'm sure your brain will be even more disney-fried!

can't wait to hear more :)

Amy-neighbor said...

I am totally LOLing - this is hilarious! I hope you keep notes on ALL the dos and don'ts. We are going to go very soon. I have been thinking of you all and cannot wait to hear about all the scoop! We want to have you up for burgers when you get home - miss you - hugs to the kids!

PartyofFive said...

Disney trips are so much fun. Hope you all continue to have a great time!

MEGAN said...

What an amazing analogy: she/none of us know when the end is coming, but we can REST ASSURED that our FATHER is waiting for us every single time, without fail.

It's amazing to think of all the things children can teach you in a lifetime.

k and c's mom said...

What a gift to give us a blog mid-Disney! One of the things I love most about your stories is that you don't cut out the "real kid moments" like throwing "fits". (Or towel slippage.) You just keep it real. Like the rest of our lives!
Continue on down the Disney path...and have a GREAT time!

S.Good said...

We went last year in August...I did end up doing a few loads of laundry to keep up with all the sweat. Aghast...Laundry on vacation

Love Being A Nonny said...

The first time we took ours, they were one, two and three. We had a blast. I wish I had written down what they said and did. At the time you think you will never forget it...but now they are 27, 28 and 29 and those memories have faded. Replaced with wonderful memories of course, but nonetheless, keep writing them down. Can't wait to see pics!!!

Angela Conklin
NC friend thru your entries!

Nicole - Life in Progress said...

Love the slide story! My oldest daughter does the very same thing on water slides. So sweet & such a marvelous analogy.

On another note.....Whenever we go to Disney World I take an index card with a list of what needs to be in the backpack each day. I leave it with my watch/jewelry to remind me to check the backpack & refill any supplies that are running low. Otherwise....I'd get to the parks and realize I forgot the camera that was charging or the snacks that ran out yesterday, etc....

Oh! The friend calling as Cinderella is just fantastic. I'm going to work that out for my girls next time.