Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Servant's Heart

My friend posted a challenge earlier this week that has been lingering in my brain: Do I serve my family with reluctance or honor? In short, do I approach my role as wife and mother with a good attitude? It certainly feels great to be appreciated, but aren't we to work for the Lord and not for men?

This morning as I spent 45 minutes bouncing back and forth, upstairs and down, between my 3 children each shouting, "MOOOOOM-MEEE!" incessantly as we tried to get ourselves out the door for school my nerves were shot. I actually said out loud, "Can I just have 5 minutes where no one needs me!?!"Almost as quickly as the words came out of my mouth my heart began to sting. Dear God, please do not grant me that wish. It is truly an honor to be needed by my family. Yet, truthfully, it is often draining.

My pride too often causes me to feel as if I have lost my identity and been reduced to a slave to my children's whims and demands. The world reinforces this with messages like, "You deserve a break today." My selfishness often wants to shout, "What about me?" I have to pray hard to not go there sometimes.

I try to teach the children independence, but they are little and they need an adult. I sometimes resent that I am the last one to get dressed--and have now realized most Moms haven't 'let themselves go' as much as they have simply put others before themselves.

It is a beautiful picture of love and sacrifice if we allow ourselves to serve with gentleness, joy and purpose as opposed to resentment and martyrdom. Some days I do better than others.

12 comments:

laurie said...

Great post, we had a morning like that the past two days. I should be glad I took them in my PJ's I guess!

R said...

yes yes yes...this is so true of so many mothers! i've been working hard to carve out time for myself to combat these feelings, then i end up feeling guilty that i'm not serving my family. it's a crazy cycle!

Brandy Thixton said...

I SO identify with this post, and I only have one! I couldn't imagine it with three!

j.j. said...

You put into words exactly what I have been pondering and struggling with lately. God never promises us "me time" and yet our culture assures us we deserve it and our selfish hearts seem to crave it. I have to pray about this battle frequently!!

Kim said...

Thanks so much for the great post! So true. Selfishness & Distractions are such temptations to us moms.

Kim said...

I know what you mean. It can be hard keeping the right attitude about the calling of being a mother. It is hard sometimes as well to know when you need to push them to be more independent and when they just need to be babied a bit. We all have those days where we need to be taken care of, and I know my daughter is the same. Lately, I'm trying to be more sensitive and discerning of what she needs at that particular time or day. I'll probably get it when she leaves for college.

http://ispeakbeanish.wordpress.com

Kimberly said...

Just today alone,I have prayed about this very struggle multiple times! The Lord made me aware at least a few times today that I made some martyr like remark about serving others and having no personal time.I was so embarrassed! I asked the Lord to forgive me and honestly still need to apologize to my husband.You are not alone,as you can see by all the comments. It is a struggle but the Lord is so faithful to give me the grace I need to deny myself.I have a long way to go though! It is not a natural thing!

Valerie Swartz said...

HI. I have been reading your blog for quite sometime. I find that you have alot of awesome advice:) Well for some reason you were on my heart this morning when I started to listen to my music. I find that music is one of the ways God allows me to encourage and witness to others. Just scroll down on my blog and go to the second through forth song. I think that you would just love them:)

Amy Sullins said...

What a great post! One I definitely needed to hear today! :O)

Totallyscrappy said...

I think you must have seen me at Target just about a half an hour ago! As mothers we really do sway between enjoying them and wanting some alone time... often within the span of 12 seconds.
Thank you for reminding me to serve my family with an honorable heart.

Finally, Brothers, whatever is true, whatever is right, whatever is noble, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things. Philippians 4:8

Fun With Five said...

What a beautifully written post. Thank you for putting into words what so many of us moms feel. I loved the reminder of how the world reinforces our selfishness with messages like you deserve a break today! This is exactly what where the Lord is working in my heart right now!

Melissa said...

"I try to teach the children independence, but they are little and they need an adult. I sometimes resent that I am the last one to get dressed--and have now realized most Moms haven't 'let themselves go' as much as they have simply put others before themselves."

I love that!