Thursday, July 17, 2008

Pain

Something occurred to me this morning as I was reading the responses to the 'cardboard testimonies' video. The people featured have reached thousands with a beautiful picture of the Gospel, simply by having the courage to tell their story. Their vulnerability spoke directly to the hearts of a multitude. When I read this post by Jon it further drove home the disservice we do to the Gospel when we fail to 'keep it real.'

I find it striking that it is out of their pain that their most powerful life stories emerge. I am often reminded that not many outside my family would care much what I have to say (and tune into a blog) had I not suffered infertility resulting in triplets and a near death experience. God used my pain to build my platform for sharing about Him. I now feel a responsibility to use that platform to proclaim the source of my hope.

Isn't it amazing that modern technology allows us to speak to droves of others across the world with a few keystrokes? I am so thankful for this tiny corner of the blogosphere where God has allowed me to participate in giving and especially receiving encouragement and wisdom. I am blessed by those of you who read and comment (or e-mail or call). It is the back and forth, the give and take, the sharing that makes us all stronger. This is way bigger than me. It is truly a community of iron sharpening iron.

We all have a story. What's holding us back from passing it on?

Matthew 5:14-16 (The Message)
14-16"Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.


The final point that I am pondering is a less pleasant one. As a parent, I want desperately to protect my children from pain. I consider 'keeping them safe' one of my most important roles. Yet, my belief that I can serve as their constant protector is a farce. No matter what I do, they will face pain eventually and repeatedly.

I must trust God to deliver them. I must teach them Truth NOW so they are deeply rooted and ready to face the storms that WILL inevitably come. The greatest protection I can offer them is to make sure they get to know their REAL Protector personally--that they call His name, recognize His voice and cling to Him for their rescue and deliverance. Because I cannot, but He can. And He will.

5 comments:

Tee said...

Your blog blesses my life. Sometimes it makes me laugh, sometimes it touches my heart, but you are always a blessing. Your testimony is powerful reminder of a faithful God that we serve. He is worthy to be praised.

Mary Lou said...

Your last paragraph spoke volumes. He has taught you well and you have learned well. You are touching many lives for all of eterntiy and will continue to do so. Pain is our greatest teacher, without problems we would have no need of a Saviour. It grows our faith....faith isn't faith until it's been tested. He is right there waiting to show Himself to us. I have so few problems compared to so many hurting people out there. He is so good and He is good ALL of the time. May He meet you with each step you take tomorrow and in the days to come as your rsiase your three precious gifts from Him, for Him. You have blessed my life with your faith and your desire to teach them.

Mama said...

I have been so blessed and convicted by this post and the video you've shown. I hope it's ok that I have written about it on my own blog and referenced this post.

Thank you. Really.

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

I do wonder why we so often paste on our happy faces instead of "being real." I think we, as Christians, tend to do that even more. My post about a similar subject is here.

Thanks for sharing so much of your story.

Distybug said...

I agree totally! We have to give them the tools with which to handle the situations that will certainly come their way. I continually tell and show my kids that I don't have all the answers, but God does.