Monday, May 19, 2008

Lifting my Family in Prayer

Now that Summer is upon us, I have been looking for something structured to keep me on track with Bible Study & prayer until my schedule gets back to 'normal.' This week, my sweet friend Emily sent me a special treat that appears to be a terrific resource, laminated prayer cards from Family Life. There are three themed cards, specifically related to lifting members of the family in prayer. The website doesn't show the great content (probably so they won't be plagiarized without purchase). Each card contains 10-14 specific prayer requests and 3-4 Scripture verses related to each. I have tucked them in my calendar so I can pull them out as time allows. This is a great way to keep the Word fresh and alive on a daily basis--which does wonders for my perspective (and therefore attitude) as a wife and Mommy.

On the back of the parenting card there is a prayer excerpted from John Yates' book, How A Man Prays for His Family. I love the way it starts and the truth of how it applies to my family:
"Help me today, Lord, to be observant of them and sensitive to them. Give me unusual insight into their lives. Help me to be secure in your love and care, Father, for I need Your help as much as they do."

Isn't that the truth?

Here's to the transforming power of prayer!

13 comments:

AK said...

I really like that idea!

I'm not sure if I've ever commented before, I found your blog a little while ago and I've loved reading about your adventures with your little ones.

Heather said...

I love this prayer! How true! Where did you get those cards?

Love the new design btw!

Mom of Eleven said...

Love the new template!
wendy

Love Being A Nonny said...

Love those cards!!!
I'll have to say, I miss the pics of your children across the top!!!

Angela Conklin
friend in NC thru your entries

Momma-of-5 said...

thanks for the reminder! i have cards similar to those that somehow got "put away" and forgotten about. I'm pulling them out RIGHT NOW!

Erin said...

Love this! The quote really speaks to my heart. Especially the part about being observant and sensitive to them!

And, I love your new look!

ocean mommy said...

Hi! First...love the new look! Good job.. :)

I love the prayer cards and will go check those out! Summertime is always my most difficult season as far as my prayer time goes.

Even though we homeschool and I'm used to finding creative ways to have prayer time, for some reason summertime seems like a battle!!

I'm going to copy that quote, print it on some cardstock and frame it to sit next to my kitchen sink....

Thanks for encouraging me today!

Blessings
stephanie

Cheri (aka "The Mom Lady") said...

Okay, I admit I miss the kids up top. :( Perhaps you could add YOU to the line-up?? Just my illustrious opine! The new one is lovely but compared to your former header, well, I miss the old one. Not that it makes a hill of beans difference. But I digress from the real reason for commenting.

Our sermon on Sunday night was on the power of prayer and HOW we are to pray - with FAITH, CONFIDENCE and EXPECTATION! And another "biggie" - that we pray with a forgiving spirit.

Our prayers are to be specific, continuous, an on-going dialog with the Father. I like what C.S. Lewis said when his wife was dying, "I don't pray to change God; I pray to change ME!"

Kelly said...

LOVE the new look!!!!!

Shannon said...

Great post and I too like the message. Oh how I need that in the long hot days to come.
Thank you for allowing us to share in your finding!
Love the new template. Fresh for summer and quite hip.
-Shannon in Austin

Love Being A Nonny said...

Just ordered the prayer cards! Thanks!

Angela Conklin

a portland granny said...

Thanks so much for the prayer cards idea. I just ordered some for me, as well as my son's family. I also ordered a book on turning off the TV and creative things to do with kids.
Great resource site--thanks.

I, too, miss those sweet faces at the top of your blog.

Thanks again,

Joan

Jenna said...

JMom, the new look is AWESOME! So pretty and classic. Hope you and your crew are having a great day!!