Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Everything We Need

I have a new Mark Buchanan book called Hidden In Plain Sight. It is based on a passage in 2 Peter that I have been meditating on for a couple of weeks.

"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.


For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins. 2 Peter 1:3-9 (NIV) emphasis mine"

I honestly have not made it very far into the book because I keep reading this passage over and over again. Buchanan's assertion throughout the book is that so many of us are trying to get more of God in our lives, yet this passage tells us we already have everything we need...we just aren't tapping into it by virtue of spiritual disciplines.

I am not by nature a disciplined person. I get things done, but I am a bit "all over the place" in the process. I have always rebelled a little against a disciplined lifestyle. It is why I cannot diet. I don't want to commit to an exercise regimen. I don't keep a checkbook register. I have historically had a hard time sticking to a quiet time routine.

This passage convicted me. Especially on the heels of how hard it was to give up my caffeine addiction. I want to practice a little more discipline in my life. Prayer. Study. Service. Maybe even exercise and a better diet.

I am not sure what it looks like yet...still praying about that. But the reward of tapping into the "very great and precious promises" God has given us is an incredible motivation.

10 comments:

Borbe Bunch said...

These are some of my favorite verses...thanks for your honesty in having a desire to be more diciplined, I am right there with you...I can be so "all over the place" and feel restless...but it all comes down to a choice for me. Thanks for sharing your heart!
I loved the Sunny story, that makes me smile :) too cute!

Keri said...

Wow, I so could have written that paragraph about not being a disciplined person. In fact, I was just thinking about my "undisciplined-ness" earlier today. Unfortunately, my husband is the same way, so we kind of enable each other in that lifestyle. Definitely a need for improvement in our lives, both separately and as a couple!

It is so true that a disciplined life produces much more spiritual fruit than an undisciplined one. I've seen the difference in the lives of several of my friends. I'm often envious of them in that particular area. Thanks for the reminder that I need only make it an priority for prayer and focus to become the same way!

Jessica said...

Great post! Thanks for the encouragement!

Jill said...

I love that passage so much. It's on my blog header and the reason I named my blog "Who Could Ask for Anything More".

Kelly said...

I love reading here... so often you are dealing with the same areas God has spoken to me. This morning I focused on John 15:8, which tells us that if we dwell in Him, He will dwell in us and it will be evidenced by the fruit we produce. I wrote my request to God that I would be more disciplined and diligent to seek Him, that I may exemplify Him in my words and actions.

He truly has given us what we need; I need to cultivate this fruit in my life, instead of constantly asking for more! This post was such an encouragement to me- I am so glad I stopped by:-)

Mindy said...

I am so like you in that I am all over the place in doing things -- they get done -- eventually in my time. I even tend to talk that way which leaves people looking at me with a strange look most of the time like they are wondering what in the world I'm talking about or as my daddy used to say "if I'm ever going to complete a sentence."
I have learned for myself that I have to keep a calendar and plan out my days so that I get everything done and am more effective.....even my quiet time. ANd usually my days go better when I'm scheduled....
Thanks for you honesty! I can relate!
In HIM -
Mindy

Courtney said...

Thanks J, that was really refreshing as well for me and I am not finished meditating on it, but the Lord has revealed to me several things already....that is great! I can totally relate to the "all over the place" but yet get things done...that is me in a nut shell!

Hannah E. said...

LOVE this! I'll be excited to read more of what you share about this book and topic. I know I need lots of work in this area too.

Deidre said...

Oh, that is good. I'm working on my 'discipline'. I fight it with everything in me, yet I have a heart to please the Lord in this area. It's a struggle. I'm surrendering to a morning quiet time and am blessed because of it, but I have many areas of discipline that I need to surrender to. Thanks for posting!

A Place For Ministry Wives/A Place For Me said...

I bet you would love the book "Celebration of Discipline" by Richard Foster.

Great post. Love your newfound dedication to add discipline into your life.

I always enjoy reading your thoughts and inspirations. :-)